What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Scotia (Bank) Place in Calgary was released today. They sunk the lower bowl to put the main concourse at grade.
rendering3.jpg

***For comparison purposes only and not intended for anything else***

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that there was a downtown Edmonton office tower that was called "Scotia Place" for several decades before it was recently renamed to "Rice Howard Place"? The tower was renamed due to Scotiabank relocating to ICE District, which is highlighted by an NHL arena called "Rogers Place".

Ever wonder what that room on the top floor of the south side of Rogers looks like?
Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 10.26.50 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 10.26.14 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 10.26.14 PM.png
    626.7 KB · Views: 17
Sure did ....the one with the ONE window in the middle of a windowless wall of nothing? I thought Katz lived there part time whilst he wore empty kleenex boxes on his feet.......akin to Howard Huges....

Last edited:
Pretty sure it has been predominantly used by GMs and VIPs.

Katz (rarely up it seems) and his fam are usually seen in the double-wide box on the south side at centre ice.

I still recall early rumours/plans/folklore that had a helipad on top of the JW to a full-floor penthouse with a private elevator to the lower level and a tunnel or connection to Rogers with another private elevator up to this particular room.

Unsure what as actually true/real though.

I like the idea of sunken bowl, could be way off but was part of the reason Rogers didn't do that around the extra cost associated with digging down? I think it also works well here given the way Ford Hall crosses 104th above grade anyways.

Cost and intent with the district to the south to act as the main gathering and F&B.

The "Faux Flames" facade seems a little too trite in my opinion and "digging down" to sub-grade the ice surface seems to have been lost in the fact that the height issue was apparently not addressed (and how could it be... leaving stunted "flames" if it had been -- design dichotomy). The base is all angular in form -- is the intent here to make the base emulate a "grille full of coals" from which the flames gain their raison d'être? From an architectural standpoint, Edmonton and its arena have nothing to worry about from a design standpoint comparison.

Pretty sure it has been predominantly used by GMs and VIPs.

Katz (rarely up it seems) and his fam are usually seen in the double-wide box on the south side at centre ice.

I still recall early rumours/plans/folklore that had a helipad on top of the JW to a full-floor penthouse with a private elevator to the lower level and a tunnel or connection to Rogers with another private elevator up to this particular room.

Unsure what as actually true/real though.
Years ago I received a tour of a full floor penthouse in the JW that (at the time) was being built for Katz. There was a private elevator but this was pre-install so I have no idea if it was only for his suite or simply a penthouse elevator.

95EE7C57-C1E7-4863-9DC7-A42D440B69ED_1_201_a.jpeg

His son was going to live there, but declined and so they were going to subdivide it.

The "Faux Flames" facade seems a little too trite in my opinion and "digging down" to sub-grade the ice surface seems to have been lost in the fact that the height issue was apparently not addressed (and how could it be... leaving stunted "flames" if it had been -- design dichotomy). The base is all angular in form -- is the intent here to make the base emulate a "grille full of coals" from which the flames gain their raison d'être? From an architectural standpoint, Edmonton and its arena have nothing to worry about from a design standpoint comparison.
The colour is nice and helps it stand out, but it sort of looks like a squashed hat. I agree it would have looked better with more height and there is a lot going on with the angular bottom and the rounded top.

I don't feel it clashes terribly, but a more unified approach and more height might have been more impressive.

Back