What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Still amazed on how slow it's been going.
Everything has been slow.

Supply chain issues, a war in eastern europe, disputes with china.

Edmonton may be remote but we still are a part of earth and its global happenings.

Let alone anyone with dementia - its rather a jumble of tile and brick flooring. Anyone know what is the primary use for this plaza?

It's a secondary events and civic space, except it never gets much use. Most people forget it's even there since it's hidden by entrances to the parkade.

In an ideal world it would have been situated in front of the library to complement and extend Churchill Square, and I think there was a missed opportunity with the library rebuild to re-examine the layout of the site.

In dropping by the library yesterday, it sure is looking dirty and uninviting around the front entrance with debris, garage and tossed out food.

I don't think those sidewalk blocks were a good choice - several of them are loose and move up and down when you walk on them and the gaps in between them are starting to collect more and more cigarette butts. And on that note, I would really appreciate if they could elimate smoking anywhere near the entrance plaza.

20231209_100616.jpg
20231209_100550.jpg

It's a secondary events and civic space, except it never gets much use. Most people forget it's even there since it's hidden by entrances to the parkade.

In an ideal world it would have been situated in front of the library to complement and extend Churchill Square, and I think there was a missed opportunity with the library rebuild to re-examine the layout of the site.
If you are in the Library you cant miss this space, its extremely visible and accessible. It is also visible if you are on foot from various angles. I do take your note that it’s hard to see from your car, but its not for cars so who cares.

It may be psychological, but the space is sort of hidden or blocked and yes the perspective of people in cars does matter and can not be easily dismissed. Like it or not, this is not a city where everyone or even most people are walking by on foot.

It would have more sense to have an bigger open space on the north side of the library as an extension of the square instead. The library renovation and upgrade was one of the most underwhelming and disappointing ever done. It seems to have had missed opportunities.

The best part of all of this might be the improved parkade entrances.

Back