Major Development Permit
Permit Class
Class B
Permit Date
Oct 20, 2021
Status
Approved
Description of Development
To construct alterations (adding 1 storey to the shorter tower, changing an Amenity Area to additional Dwellings, and revising the 105 Avenue vehicular site access) to a Multi-unit Housing building in the form of a podium with 2 Towers. The total # of Dwellings is increased to 504 from 485. The Development includes General Retail Store Uses on the main floor, a 3rd floor Indoor Participant Recreation Service Use, expansion of the existing underground parkade, and a pedway connection to the existing EPCOR Tower.
Address
10457 - 101 STREET NW

With the change in orientation and removal of access from 105th Ave to the to be built underground parkade, I have trouble visualizing how people will access the parkade unless they are using the existing Epcor parkades and the connection mentioned in the building permit?

Permit Type
Major Development Permit
Permit Class
Class B
Permit Date
Oct 20, 2021
Status
Approved
Description of Development
To construct alterations (adding 1 storey to the shorter tower, changing an Amenity Area to additional Dwellings, and revising the 105 Avenue vehicular site access) to a Multi-unit Housing building in the form of a podium with 2 Towers. The total # of Dwellings is increased to 504 from 485. The Development includes General Retail Store Uses on the main floor, a 3rd floor Indoor Participant Recreation Service Use, expansion of the existing underground parkade, and a pedway connection to the existing EPCOR Tower.
Address
10457 - 101 STREET NW
Are they building both at the same time or just the shorter tower first?

Are they building both at the same time or just the shorter tower first?
Ledcor is the prime contractor for construction of Phase 1, which will include the mid-rise building (62m tall) on 101 Street, shared podium with future tower, expansion of the EPCOR Tower parkade and pedway connection between that tower and the mid-rise podium. Construction is planned to begin next month.

gobbo.png

Couldn’t agree more but geez…..imagine living in one of those units….and having to look out onto the homeless just outside of your window….hope this is a catalyst for that immediate area….not sure how but just is…..hope it does well!

Last edited:
It's going to take more than an Arena and a few nice buildings to turn this area around.

Will residents of these buildings actually want to mingle outside or even look out their windows?

For the amount of the rent they're going to ask for, not sure I would be very eager to move into the area

I know that this is a development form and, while I do love me some new buildings/projects, I will speak for the people who are struggling in this area. Along with new private development more housing/public support is always needed to give aid to the existing residents of the area who need it and also to prevent a lot of the hurt/neglect that comes with the inevitable gentrification through projects like this. Relocating many people to housing/services all around the city instead of concentrating it in this one area will also help improve optics while actually improving the situation as well.

I know this is kinda off-topic but you guys talking about how the people living in these buildings would be affected by "having to look" at the homeless gave me reason to balance out the perspective a little yknow.

Perhaps the view is not as scenic as some areas, but with not a lot of tall buildings directly north I imagine it would be a fairly nice panorama view.

It also does have an advantage of proximity to downtown. If you are going south, rather than north, which is more likely, one probably wouldn't feel anymore unsafe than in most of the rest of downtown.

Back