• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
1606169767145.png

1606169727057.png

The site, which is located on the south side of 85 Avenue, directly across from Strathcona Park and King Edward Elementary School, currently contains the Edmonton Church of God, the 4-storey Eben-Ezer I residential building, and a single detached house.

The stated intent of the applicant is to develop a new, six storey residential building that will contain a mix of 3-bedroom townhouses and apartment suites with ground floor units having direct access to 85th Avenue.

Although the (RA8) Medium Rise Apartment Zone allows limited commercial uses, the applicant has stated that they intend to develop a residential-only building.

I'm sure that repurposing a church from the early '60s and renovating a seniors' residence of the same era is an exceedingly difficult task, so I can’t say I hold it against them to redevelop the site. I do hope, however, that there's some effort put into salvaging what can be. If nobody’s ever gone past here before, they’re two pretty big buildings that’ll probably make a lot of waste. It’d be nice to have it not all end up at the landfill.

Thanks to @KyleBlanchett for providing an update on this project! I'll have a poll set up, and put this project on the database, by the end of this coming weekend. I haven't had any luck finding renderings, so I'd appreciate help with that if anyone has time to do some digging.

Personally, I do like this proposal, but I'm a bit dissapointed that they're demolishing existing buildings. I'm dying to see something fill the empty plot at 9950 82 Ave NW. Maybe it's just not wide enough for this, but I really hope that someone does something with that land sooner than later. (EDIT: I actually found out that a development permit application was summited for this plot, but cancelled).
Reference Id:Job No 402986704-002
Description:To construct a 133 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing building with underground parkade, and to demolish the existing onsite buildings (Religious Assembly building, Multi-unit Housing building, Single Detached House, and 2 rear detached garages).
Plan 2120655 Blk 87 Lot 22
Applicant:NORR ARCHITECTS ENGINEERS PLANNERS
Create Date:2021/07/20
Neighbourhood:STRATHCONA
Issue Date:2021/10/21
Class Of Permit:Class B
Notification Start Date:2021/10/28
Notification End Date:2021/11/18

Last edited:
My brothers condo in Van has a ground floor patio. It add a few hundred sq ft of extra space.
IMO it's a phenomenal way to get value on ground floor units that can be seen as less desirable

Back