News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I went to both the Taste of Edmonton and KDays, and I definitely preferred the former.
I went to Taste of Edmonton because a friend wanted to go. I hadn't gone in years, but enjoyed it and was pleasantly surprised. I thought the set up was well done.

Of course, it was not cheap, but there was a good selection. It was not that busy when we went, although it was a week day evening.

I'm so glad I went to the Heritage Festival on a warm and sunny Saturday afternoon.
I'm sure many people had the same idea because the festival was packed that day!

1722895179569.png

1722895214753.png

^Probably due to hot weather then smoke, then rain, but I found Taste lacking in local restaurants like it used to be. Most of the booths are food trucks and fast food. And the entertainment wasn't a draw like other years for me, except Glass Tiger was great.
Yeah. I've skipped it since COVID, partly because even if being outside is lower-risk, absolutely crowding into a tight space outdoors is still a good way to get it. But it's long been kind of underwhelming for the cost, with most of the content being decidedly fast food/bar food chains. They also go out of their way to be a pain to bike commuters, and are probably (unlike any other festival) more parasitic upon downtown than synergistic. I tend to scout it, decide I don't want to hang out in Churchill Square on a hot summer day watching suburbanites eat, and go support a local restaurant who probably is not having the best of weeks.

Chinatown does some very nice smaller scale versions of the concept called Chinatown After Dark a few times per summer where the various restaurants set up booths with a few features, and I went to that and had some nice dim sum and a scoop from Little Bonbon for ~$25.

It's gonna be such a busy weekend in our fair city! What are your plans?

Folk Festival - should be a gorgeous Sunday night to watch Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
Cariwest - their 40th anniversary parade is on Saturday starting at noon
Animethon - their 30th anniversary event is being held at the Convention Centre
Fragapalooza - my geek friends won't shut up about this!
Riverhawks game on Saturday night
Elks game on Sunday night
Hlinka Gretzky Cup tournament at Rogers Place
Punk In Drublic concert at ICE District Fan Park - featuring the final shows for the band NOFX
downtown farmers market on Saturday morning/afternoon
Old Strathcona farmers market on Satuday morning/afternoon
Rice Howard Way entertainment district on Saturday afternoon

I always bike to folk fest, but I volunteer (along with 2000 other people) and get ETS free this weekend, looking forward to trying it out and expect the Valley Line to be very busy.

It's gonna be such a busy weekend in our fair city! What are your plans?

Folk Festival - should be a gorgeous Sunday night to watch Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
Cariwest - their 40th anniversary parade is on Saturday starting at noon
Animethon - their 30th anniversary event is being held at the Convention Centre
Fragapalooza - my geek friends won't shut up about this!
Riverhawks game on Saturday night
Elks game on Sunday night
Hlinka Gretzky Cup tournament at Rogers Place
Punk In Drublic concert at ICE District Fan Park - featuring the final shows for the band NOFX
downtown farmers market on Saturday morning/afternoon
Old Strathcona farmers market on Satuday morning/afternoon
Rice Howard Way entertainment district on Saturday afternoon
Friday Night and Sat Rokin August in St Albert

Back