There is an approved name already, it's just not public...yet.
I heard rumors that it’s an Indigenous name chosen, which would be cool. Are you able to confirm or deny?

Only subtly racist…
Only pragmatic, and speaks more to my own difficulties than anything. It was hard enough to learn one foreign language already, so it is hard for me to pronounce some native words.

Because it makes super sense for the brown, Latino immigrant, dating a mixed-race middle Eastern/Latina immigrant to be racist.

You do like to throw in accusations and to make things personal, don't ya?

As long as I can pronounce it, I'm happy.
Funny enough, that was the requirement the community asked to the committee... and when they received the new name no one could say anything fearing being perceived as racist.
Only subtly racist…
Spoiler alert, I don't think it's that easy to pronounce and to learn, I've heard it a couple of times and I still cannot remember it... I guess it will come with time and I'm trying to be optimistic as a new Oliver resident.

I was very surprised to hear how little consultation was done and how all this process is being hidden to the community. Hence you haven't heard anything on social media or media in general.

Funny enough, that was the requirement the community asked to the committee... and when they received the new name no one could say anything fearing being perceived as racist.
I know. I was in Oliver up until less than 3 months ago, and I plan on coming back soon enough.

You can still see value and be in favour of using a native name, but want something that most people will have no trouble saying. At the very least, if they choose a name that people's are too averse to, they'll just keep using Oliver and it'll be even worse.

Only pragmatic, and speaks more to my own difficulties than anything. It was hard enough to learn one foreign language already, so it is hard for me to pronounce some native words.

Because it makes super sense for the brown, Latino immigrant, dating a mixed-race middle Eastern/Latina immigrant to be racist.

You do like to throw in accusations and to make things personal, don't ya?
I think it was an attempt at being funny/cute.

Reconciliation isnt about one individual’s struggle to learn new words.

When we go to other countries like Japan or Thailand, or even Germany, we often take the time to learn how to say things or places in their own language, even if we don't always get it right.

Yet when it's a language that's native to our own country, we can't even take the five minutes to learn how to say a single place or thing. To me, it just seems a bit...dismissive? of indigenous culture that we just see it as an inconvenience to have to learn a new word, especially in cases when that word likely has a very real and very long connection to the place that the name is being given (not sure if thats the case here). The unwillingness to learn just feels like we don't have the same respect for the indigenous ties to the area as we would for people groups in other areas of the world.

I know people will likely disagree which is fine, it's obviously a nuanced topic, but that's my perspective on why it really shouldn't be an issue for us to embrace these renamings.

Back