I'm nervous about the new name. They are setting themselves up for a bad reveal by doing almost no public consultation.
I'm sure its not the same selection process as the city ward names, but as an example if you look at those names chosen I don't think theres any racism in someone saying they hope its a name they can pronounce. Some of the names are great,but for example Ipiihkoohkanipiaohtsi is objectively hard to pronounce and spell and would effectively stop businesses from using the neighborhood name in their names/marketing.
That being said I'm glad they're moving on from Oliver and I'm sure it will be a good name.

I think that changing a neighbourhood name is pretty confusing unless it happens organically over time. Oliver is a good name, and that has nothing to do with the history of its namesake, whatever that is.

You can remove references to the person that the neighbourhood was named after, but I think time largely does that on its own. I say this, because I don't know the first name of this Oliver person that people are upset about.

I think that changing a neighbourhood name is pretty confusing unless it happens organically over time. Oliver is a good name, and that has nothing to do with the history of its namesake, whatever that is.

You can remove references to the person that the neighbourhood was named after, but I think time largely does that on its own. I say this, because I don't know the first name of this Oliver person that people are upset about.

Oliver is historical, but controversial and doesn't mean anything to someone who doesn't know local history. I like West Village because it is simple, sounds nice, is understandable, not controversial and gives some directional context.

I have a bit of an issue that we need to wait for the government to come down from the mountain like god to Moses and pronounce what we must use. The lack of public consultation and involvement is particularly irksome here.

Sometimes names just evolve based on what people use, so if we start using this, maybe that is what it will become.

from https://www.linkedin.com/posts/fran..._q?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

This place is next level, the plaza felt so inviting and warm, even on a super chilly day like today. Can't wait for a cafe and/or restaurant to bring the square some life.
IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 42

Back