Perhaps an ideal spot for a Gravity Pope shoes or knife store?

I wonder if something like https://www.rockymountainsoap.com would make sense given its popularity in Canmore, Banff and Calgary.... and many who come here living just west of there.
A soap store would be cool. Manchester square has a store doing a lot of small goods like that. Soaps/candles/stickers, etc. but I bet another in the area could do well.

A few others that’d be good here potentially: barber, daycare, pet store.

16B5831C-4C59-4035-845C-CB148B502E14.jpeg
E4B2A563-1150-49B0-A4BA-AC27FC33224C.jpeg
5335D48E-BDBB-4BA1-8DDE-F23B66417E7A.jpeg

Perhaps an ideal spot for a Gravity Pope shoes or knife store?

I wonder if something like https://www.rockymountainsoap.com would make sense given its popularity in Canmore, Banff and Calgary.... and many who come here living just west of there.
That + what about a Mr Derk type store? Lots of young professionals in the area (and esp. who can afford rents of here + McLaren) + you have lots of wealthier folks in Glenora. Their stores are also always off main roads so it does kind of fit their MO.

Perhaps every retailer could abandon Manchester Square and move here...

Please?
The people who developed Manchester Square did a good job attracting a nice mix of unique and local businesses and I have been pleasantly surprised to so many in such a new development, instead of the usual chains.

So perhaps there is an unmet demand downtown or this area for more of the same. I don't want them this place take anything away from Manchester Square, but I hope there can be more of the same type of retail.

The people who developed Manchester Square did a good job attracting a nice mix of unique and local businesses and I have been pleasantly surprised to so many in such a new development, instead of the usual chains.

So perhaps there is an unmet demand downtown or this area for more of the same. I don't want them this place take anything away from Manchester Square, but I hope there can be more of the same type of retail.
I understand your point. But... I have to go to MANCHESTER PLACE then... (whimpers)

Honestly, I still feel like Oliver (outside of the brewery/104ave area) needs some classic chains too. Like an A&W, McDs, something like that. I find the 8pm options in this area tough. A few sit down restaurants are basically it.

Honestly, I still feel like Oliver (outside of the brewery/104ave area) needs some classic chains too. Like an A&W, McDs, something like that. I find the 8pm options in this area tough. A few sit down restaurants are basically it.

Unless they have an urban format up their sleeves, fast food joints such as A&W or Rotten Ronnies will want a drive-thru.

^ DQ even has a more urban format on their Jasper Ave location

Honestly I've been surprised that corner lot where Bernard's chocolates (or whatever the exact name was) at 124 and Jasper hasn't been turned into a fast food spot but I guess the lack of desire to try an urban format might hold it back.

^ DQ even has a more urban format on their Jasper Ave location

Honestly I've been surprised that corner lot where Bernard's chocolates (or whatever the exact name was) at 124 and Jasper hasn't been turned into a fast food spot but I guess the lack of desire to try an urban format might hold it back.

There used to be a Dairy Queen next door and there used to be a McDonald's where Serenity Condos are now.

124th has an A&W, KFC, and McDonalds already. They're just on the opposite end of the street from where Mercury is though.

124th has an A&W, KFC, and McDonalds already. They're just on the opposite end of the street from where Mercury is though.
Mcds is 118ave, nowhere close to Oliver. And aw/kfc are suburban formats on 111th ave. Which is beyond the main strip of 124th.

At this point, south of 109ave on 124th, and then obviously in Oliver proper south of brewery district is what I’m talking about.

Not gas station A&Ws next to 6 lane stroads, a 26min walk away from mercury block…

Personally, my priority for any urban format A&W or McDs would be for the Ice District first and then 124 St. I like @northlands idea of a fast food chain in the Bernard Callebaut space at 124 St/Jasper Ave, however I'm worried that a fast food operator in that location will insist on a drive-thru format that will greatly impact traffic.

I have been to the Wendys by MacEwan a couple of times recently, it seems fairly busy and there is a Harveys nearby there too. But I don't think there is much else open at that time in the core.

I don't think these two places mind the lack of competition and probably hope the larger chains continue to not figure out there is a market here after 8 pm.

Back