Is it meant to fully cover the balcony glass? If so, then it could make a nice accent punch. But if it's like how it is, with some panes untouched, other only half covered, that'd be weird.
Rendering

B631B8C7-6E05-464F-BCAE-67A593D8B75D.jpeg

I think that the courtyard area is very beautifully designed but I'm not gonna lie the outside walls facing the street do look quite boring. I get this is Edmonton, where buildings like the Falcon Towers and Manchester Square have fans, but it's not exactly amazing architecture from the sides that most people will see. It's really just fine, courtyard aside. Still good density and looking forward to the influx of residents and visitors as the CRUs and residences fill up.
If they'd gone for panels, instead of stucco, and glass on the balconies, it would've looked absolutely incredible, but I do agree that it doesn't look nearly as good as the renders made me expect.

If they'd gone for panels, instead of stucco, and glass on the balconies, it would've looked absolutely incredible, but I do agree that it doesn't look nearly as good as the renders made me expect.

Are they still going to be creating some graffiti-esque art on the building in white and red like the renders? I think that will certainly add some interest.

Is it meant to fully cover the balcony glass? If so, then it could make a nice accent punch. But if it's like how it is, with some panes untouched, other only half covered, that'd be weird.
Some are loose, missing or flapping in the wind

“No frills” building where it should have been a “loblaws”. Does the same job but finishings are very basic. A few of these elements could have made it a 10/10 rather than a 7/10.

IMG_0098.png

“No frills” building where it should have been a “loblaws”. Does the same job but finishings are very basic. A few of these elements could have made it a 10/10 rather than a 7/10.

View attachment 560412
Yeah, it’s very ok. I’m not mad Mercury Block exists as it’s adding good density, getting rid of a parking lot, and has a cool courtyard that’ll hopefully continue the magic of Oliver Exchange. But people are acting like this development is much greater than it truly is. So there’s a cool red staircase that is clearly meant to be an Instagram focal point. What else?

Mercury Block checks a ton of boxes for a development in this type of area. It provides good housing options for people looking to live there.

While I would have preferred brick, I don't really care. It's pretty much better than 95% of midrise buildings in the City. If they find it economical to build 10 more of these kinds of builds, I'm all for it.

We have parking lots to kill.

Mercury Block checks a ton of boxes for a development in this type of area. It provides good housing options for people looking to live there.

While I would have preferred brick, I don't really care. It's pretty much better than 95% of midrise buildings in the City. If they find it economical to build 10 more of these kinds of builds, I'm all for it.

We have parking lots to kill.
Absolutely. It's good, human-scaled density. But it's not architectural excellence like some are suggesting, that's all.

Definitely not an architectural marvel, it's a black stucco box with metal railing balconies. The only thing I really like about its presence is how European-esque it is. The fact it even has an inner courtyard has me thinking the developer came up with this structure after a trip to Frankfurt or something.

It's a good example of how you don't need to overdesign.
There's a lot of lower end apartments around town that would've looked a lot better if they simplified their design, rather than trying to add extra bits and more siding types and more colours. Don't be afraid of simplicity.

Put me in the category of people who thinks that Mercury Block is an overall net positive for the city - the courtyard idea is awesome, added density to an area that's seeing a lot of momentum is great as well - but the black stucco brought this down a level or two IMO. I'm not complaining, happy that this is done and residents have moved in (and hopefully don't face too many issues that we have been hearing about) but I think there's nothing wrong with also calling out the fact that not completing the exterior in brick was a huge missed opportunity.

Back