BC536916-3876-476E-8CA3-0A6A7D585238.jpeg
B287A200-20E9-4525-BA59-DE332BD67550.jpeg

Went poking around Davies Station last night, the park n' ride lot is huge! Poor souls at the back corner may as well walk to their nearest bus stop from home.

Looks like two sets of escalators to get to the top of the station. A roadway clearance sign over Wagner Road leading north out of the station puts the height at the bottom of the elevated trackway at 11.0m, so the top of the station might be nearly 20m. It almost needs it's own project page. :p

IMGP1772_DxOsm.jpg

IMGP1766_DxOsm.jpg

I’m a little concerned about how they have signs on both platforms saying “To Downtown” on the south end and “To Mill Woods” on the North. I could see people waiting for a train on the wrong platform because of that.
Are you saying that at one end of the platform there's a "Downtown" sign and at the other end of the same one there's a "Mill Woods" sign? Because if that's the case then that literally makes no sense.

Are you saying that at one end of the platform there's a "Downtown" sign and at the other end of the same one there's a "Mill Woods" sign? Because if that's the case then that literally makes no sense.
I went by the stations yesterday, and was looking out for this. The Platforms have signs on the ends, as well as in the middle of them. the middle platforms work like the Pedway signage in the downtown stations, indicating the nearest exit/major cross-street. they are set up so that if you are facing the sign, the street indicated in front of you is what is indicated (ie on the East (Northbound) platform at Avonmore, one would look north at a sign and it would indicate 76 Ave; the same sign indicates 73 Ave on the other side). I noticed with a couple stations that the end 'directional' signs, the ones saying Downtown or Mill Woods were also set up so if you are facing northwards, the sign reads 'To Downtown' and southwards it reads 'To Mill Woods', regardless of what direction the platform would normally serve. This is not consistent across all stations, from what i saw. Mill Woods Station is only labelled downtown, obviously, and Avonmore and Grey Nuns are labelled in the odd way. Bonny Doon is labelled in the more conventional manner of one platform indicating downtown and the other indicating Mill Woods.
I can kind of understand the signage scheme; trains will have to occasionally swith sides of the track to allow for maintenance, avoid accidents ahead, etc. setting up signage that allows people to orient themselves to the city as a whole as opposed to just 'stand here to go there' almost makes sense. Then i remember that 98% of the time that won't be happening, and people STILL don't read the direction indicators of the Capital and Metro Line trains and get them confused, and the split platforms are also going to confuse people too. Indicating what platform is supposed to be served in what direction would definitely be the better approach. Given Bonny Doon is signed conventionally, and it's only (by what i counted yesterday at least) two stations signed oddly, it may just be a mess-up by the installer or something.

I went by the stations yesterday, and was looking out for this. The Platforms have signs on the ends, as well as in the middle of them. the middle platforms work like the Pedway signage in the downtown stations, indicating the nearest exit/major cross-street. they are set up so that if you are facing the sign, the street indicated in front of you is what is indicated (ie on the East (Northbound) platform at Avonmore, one would look north at a sign and it would indicate 76 Ave; the same sign indicates 73 Ave on the other side). I noticed with a couple stations that the end 'directional' signs, the ones saying Downtown or Mill Woods were also set up so if you are facing northwards, the sign reads 'To Downtown' and southwards it reads 'To Mill Woods', regardless of what direction the platform would normally serve. This is not consistent across all stations, from what i saw. Mill Woods Station is only labelled downtown, obviously, and Avonmore and Grey Nuns are labelled in the odd way. Bonny Doon is labelled in the more conventional manner of one platform indicating downtown and the other indicating Mill Woods.
I can kind of understand the signage scheme; trains will have to occasionally swith sides of the track to allow for maintenance, avoid accidents ahead, etc. setting up signage that allows people to orient themselves to the city as a whole as opposed to just 'stand here to go there' almost makes sense. Then i remember that 98% of the time that won't be happening, and people STILL don't read the direction indicators of the Capital and Metro Line trains and get them confused, and the split platforms are also going to confuse people too. Indicating what platform is supposed to be served in what direction would definitely be the better approach. Given Bonny Doon is signed conventionally, and it's only (by what i counted yesterday at least) two stations signed oddly, it may just be a mess-up by the installer or something.
Those are interesting points, I see where you're coming from. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. These stops will have the same electronic signs as the stations on the other lines, so hopefully they help to stem any confusion that could arise.

yup. to clarify, i don't think the weird DT/MW signs at Avonmore etc make sense, i'm not trying to defend it so much as speculate on why on earth it looks like that. it took a couple minutes of wandering about, seeing how they were set up, then thinking about where the trains were going to be and where DT and MW was to figure out this assumed logic. If someone has to already understand the layout of a place to figure out the directional there, the signage is a failure.
IDK, i still remember when the Metro Line opened, and the year or two of special warnings and announcements, as well as FRAZZLED people madly switching trains or turning back because the concept of one side of the platform hosting trains going in two directions was just so foreign. That was with the fancy signs we have currently. it was a mess. I'm just hoping people figure it out and don't run across the tracks in front of a train to change directions or anything. I guess no amount of signs will change that though.

There will be confusion no matter what. Even if there were only 1 track and even when the train arrived it said southbound people would still get on thinking it could be a northbound train.

Could you imagine some of those people trying to take the London tube, Paris Metro or NY subway?

Back