Some landscape renderings and plans here:

http://transedlrt.ca/gallery/landscape-renderings/

VLS-2B-Landscape-Renderings_Page_06.jpg VLS-2B-Landscape-Renderings_Page_14.jpg VLS-2B-Landscape-Renderings_Page_23.jpg

Attachments

• VLS-2B-Landscape-Renderings_Page_06.jpg
    VLS-2B-Landscape-Renderings_Page_06.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 366
  • VLS-2B-Landscape-Renderings_Page_14.jpg
    VLS-2B-Landscape-Renderings_Page_14.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 355
  • VLS-2B-Landscape-Renderings_Page_23.jpg
    VLS-2B-Landscape-Renderings_Page_23.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 393
Hey everyone!

This might be a little unrelated, but I am doing a school research report, and was wondering if anyone knew of any already built LRT lines similar to what the valley line and ion line in Kitchener will be like. I am thinking in terms of overall design (urban style low floor lrt that crosses the city, going to both urban and suburban areas), as well as in terms of the municipalities goal of inducing land use through transit.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the slight thread derail.

^G:Link in Gold Coast, Australia is practically the same as the Valley Line. It has very similar trains, and I think the signalling system is the same too.
g-link.jpg

Attachments

• g-link.jpg
    g-link.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 467
Minneapolis is a pretty close analogy: Low floor, serves both suburban and urban areas, and runs in its own right-of-way.

San Diego appears to be similar; though not physically separated in central SD it doesn't appear to share lanes with traffic.

I'm told Portland MAX is also similar (by Valley Line engineers), but it runs in mixed traffic through central Portland.

Last edited:
Might just be me but Edmonton has so many developments going on all over the place, I wonder when saturation hits . . .

Like you have Century Park, Bonnie Doon, Blatchford and on and on

Since they are all fairly long term developments, it is hard to tell. Century park should be done by 2030, Bonnie Doon by 2047, and Blatchford in the 2040's.

I think there are already issues with densification redevelopment being spread out amongst too many areas, preventing a critical mass from developing at the individual nodes and accelerating them. I think it would be faster to completion of all if there were fewer going at any one time.

Honestly I think just having 2 maybe 3 main redevelopment sites would be sufficient. If no site reaches a good critical mass then you have an overall failure. Sort of the same idea as how just because one mom can produce one baby in 9 months doesn't mean 9 can do it in one.

I think pinning hopes on a single TOD has proven to be a mistake so far. First it was Station Pointe near Belvedere, then Century Park. Neither has really panned out as hoped.

At this point I think the best thing the city can do - what it is doing now - is setting up the conditions to encourage TOD and let the market and developers do the rest.

Looks like they are putting down the foundations for the track, Very Exciting!

Back