Saw a bunch of bricks on the site on 102 ave today. Some of them looked like broken up pieces of the old churchill square slabs. I wonder what they were doing there. This was on around 102 st and 102 ave.

Maybe they are the new pavers going in at the 101 Street and 102 Ave intersection for the LRT crossing? I know they are putting in pavers along most of 102 Ave versus asphalt and concrete.

P5270448.jpg
P5290450.jpg
P5290576.jpg

Installation of the concrete spans across 75 Street that was scheduled for the evening of Friday, May 31 will occur the night of Saturday, June 1. Work will occur from 9:00 p.m. – 6:00 a.m and all lanes will be closed.

The second installation will occur 9:00 p.m. – 6:00 a.m on Friday, June 14. All lanes will be closed for this final placement.

Valley Line West construction short list announced
June 5, 2019

The City of Edmonton has shortlisted three teams to participate in the next stage of the procurement process to design, build, supply light rail vehicles and partially finance the Valley Line West LRT project, a 14-kilometre extension from Downtown to Lewis Farms.

The following teams have been selected to participate in the Request for Proposals (RFP) stage of the process:

Flatiron | AECON | Dragados Valley Line West Joint Venture, with the following team members and guarantors:
  • ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc. (with Dragados Canada Inc.)
  • AECON Concessions (with AECON Infrastructure Management Inc.)
  • HOCHTIEF PPP Solutions North America (with Flatiron Constructors Canada Limited)

Urban Mobility Partners, with the following team members and guarantors:
  • Eurovia Infra (with Carmacks Enterprises Ltd., I&S Mobility May Inc., and
  • Rail Cantech Inc.)
  • Graham Capital Partners LP (with Graham Infrastructure LP)
  • Parsons Inc.

WestLINK Group, with the following team members and guarantors:
  • SNC-Lavalin Capital Inc. (with SNC-Lavalin Constructions (Pacific) Inc. and SNC-Lavalin Inc.)

The teams were selected based on an evaluation of their qualifications, experience and proposed approach to the project.

“We’re excited the Valley Line West LRT has reached this procurement milestone and that we are another step closer to building this transformational project for our city,” said Bruce Ferguson, manager of the City’s LRT Expansion and Renewal Branch. “We look forward to working with each of the shortlisted teams over the next year to find a project contractor who can meet the rigorous technical and financial requirements of this project.”

The Valley Line West procurement process began in March, when the City released the Request for Qualifications (RFQ). The City expects to announce the preferred team in 2020. Construction on the Valley Line West will begin after that, with operation anticipated to begin in 2026-27.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/valleylinewest

Wow, it looks great, they did a real nice job. I mentioned it above, but I love the use of the brick pavers. Funnily enough, what stands out to me as one of the biggest improvements though is those new freestanding traffic lights. Up until they redid the intersection they were those super old, and cheap looking ones that just hung around on wires over the road.

Interesting that the existing TransEd consortium wasn't shortlisted... Wonder if they even bid, or just didn't make the cut for some reason?

Apparently they didn't bid.

"TransEd, the group of companies developing the Valley Line southeast extension, did not make a bid for the west extension, spokeswoman Sue Heuman said in an email Wednesday. Bruce Ferguson, the city’s LRT expansion and renewal manager, said each of the companies that comprise TransEd were given an opportunity to bid, but many opted not to. Bombardier, which is doing trains for the southeast extension, has indicated it would like to bid on trains for the west extension, but that part of the procurement won’t come until late" - (Source: https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/valley-line-west-lrt-shortlist-includes-snc-lavalin)

Photos look great @Daveography ^^

I am very impressed by the new paving treatments at the intersection. My only worry is that if utilities need to be dug up for some reason that the crosswalks, sidewalk, et al. will be patched with asphalt. I truly hope there is a healthy supply of pavers to avoid this!

@Nosirrah , agreed, the Paving Stone walk looks great. One of the many benefits of this product is the ability to remove\reuse\replace to access subsurface if need be. No worry about supply, ever. Concrete heaves and cracks and needs to be patched as does asphalt. I was a project estimator for a large landscape firm in the Kingston/Ottawa area years ago. They really know how to build with stone in that part of the country, stone & paving stone roadways hundreds of years old! The potential problem might be with the install, which has been getting better in Edmonton over the years, but usually not up to par.

Back