We should start placing bets on what the next completely unexpected problem will be.

I'm gonna go with, the grade of cables on the Tawatina bridge are inadequate somehow will have to be replaced. This will be discovered sometime next year after the LRT line opens and they'll set up a temporary bus bridge between Muttart Station and Churchill.

We should start placing bets on what the next completely unexpected problem will be.

I'm gonna go with, the grade of cables on the Tawatina bridge are inadequate somehow will have to be replaced. This will be discovered sometime next year after the LRT line opens and they'll set up a temporary bus bridge between Muttart Station and Churchill.
It's either that or the line will open and then shut down a week later to deal with another major deficiency. Why do I have the feeling that this line is going to end up like Ottawa's Confederation Line, with start-stop operations and a reputation for utter unreliability?

I saw some cable work between Bonnie Doon and Avonmore Stations, as well as near Strathearn. It seems like forever.

I just hope the lessons learned from Valley Line SE can be carried forward to other LRT projects.

Also, I wonder how the final inspections are going for the stations.

Last edited:

The OMF burns down with all trains inside

I think this forum could use some positive news! On the valley line west, work is progressing well. 5 elevated guideway sections have been erected, grouted and post-tensioned. For comparison, it took Transed until Q4 2018 to start erecting spans. Straddle bents (the columns that will support the beams at the misericordia station) are being cast this week. While the foundation columns at the WEM station are being formed. Nearly 80% of the 42 piers have been cast, with almost all piling work being completed. The last pile for the eastern most pier at the WEM station is being driven (pictured). This was were the 1st “mock up” pier was cast, along with the gantry crane support cell. Bridge work over Anthony Henday continues; the abutment sections are nearly complete, with girder erection expected in late September to early October (per marigold).
IMG_6201.jpegIMG_6199.jpegIMG_6183.jpegIMG_6198.jpegIMG_6068.jpeg

Yeah, west is looking promising. Tons of roadways being ripped up. Stony plain, 156st, 87ave. Hopefully we see the first sides of those roads being rebuilt and opened in the next 12-18 months. I believe they’re doing one side and then the other to maintain single lane traffic the whole time?

B42CE33F-6F13-4B1A-96F5-C541A3875701.jpeg

^Great updates thanks fellas.

They’re continuing to tear up the roads on 104th ave from about 116th to 107? or so. the Groat bridge and Henday bridge both seem to be coming along at a good steady pace.

When I listened to Marigold’s livestream with the city in May, one of the construction managers said they would have some track bed laid by the end of November on the closed portion of stony plain road.
Yeah, west is looking promising. Tons of roadways being ripped up. Stony plain, 156st, 87ave. Hopefully we see the first sides of those roads being rebuilt and opened in the next 12-18 months. I believe they’re doing one side and then the other to maintain single lane traffic the whole time?

View attachment 502042

Really don't understand why they don't do everything at once, utilities, tracks etc. as they already know what is going where, Instead of these multiple projects done multiple times on the same stretch of road.
As for placing bets, I'll go with some large concrete structure just discovered in the river (haven't used that for a while)

Really don't understand why they don't do everything at once, utilities, tracks etc. as they already know what is going where, Instead of these multiple projects done multiple times on the same stretch of road.
As for placing bets, I'll go with some large concrete structure just discovered in the river (haven't used that for a while)
You have to move the utilities before you build the tracks because one is on top of the other. Like building a roof after you have built the walls. Gravity is a nuisance.

More seriously though you also need to maintain utilities and services to homes and businesses, move and work with heavy machinery, move dirt and materials around the site and in most areas maintain traffic flow. Not simple.

Back