Well no major deadlines missed yet, that I am aware of, and not almost three years behind schedule.

Really not a high bar to go smoother than the southeast. Hopefully the west line will continue to go smoothly.

No bridges over the river or underground sections though, but correct me if I’m wrong.
Groat is still a bridge, but yes, not a river crossing.

Anthony henday crossing is significant.

Long elevated section for Mis/WEM (which are also more significant stations).

Not being built along industrial arterials for half the distance. But through complex university areas, residential communities, Main Streets, hospital zones, and the busiest mall in western canada.

Longer downtown section.

1.8bil vs 2.7bil. 40% higher cost for west.

I wouldn’t say west is an “easier” project if that’s the sentiment.

No bridges over the river or underground sections though, but correct me if I’m wrong.
Yes but you have the complication of the new Henday bridge at 87 Avenue (an additional span next to the existing road bridge) plus the complete replacement of the bridge over Groat Rd at Stony Plain Road. There are also two elevated stations instead of one, plus Marigold is addtitionally dealing with the morass of Stony Plain Road between 149 and 156 Streets. This segment is the closest Edmonton has come to the experience of Cambie Street during the Canada Line cut-and-cover construction, where the mess of installing rapid transit helped kill countless businesses.

Valley Line Southeast train testing to resume downtown​

August 23, 2023

TransEd, the builder and operator of the Valley Line Southeast LRT, anticipates train testing will resume downtown from the 102 Street stop to the Muttart stop later this week. Edmontonians will once again see trains running in the area.

We ask all Edmontonians to be mindful of their surroundings and obey all traffic signs and signals. Pedestrians are reminded to only cross at designated pedestrian crossings and to wait to cross the road and tracks only when it is safe to do so. As traffic signs indicate, right turns are not allowed on red lights at some intersections along the LRT alignment, and at some intersections, right or left turns are not permitted at any time. If you see tracks, expect a train.

Train testing was briefly paused in June when TransEd identified signalling cables that needed to be replaced along the alignment to improve long-term system reliability. In addition to the downtown area, cable replacement is also complete from Davies Station to the Mill Woods stop. Train testing resumed in this area last week. Line-wide testing will resume once all the new cables are installed.

The City and TransEd are working closely together, and more information about a potential opening date for Valley Line Southeast will be provided as testing nears completion.

For more information:
transedlrt.ca
edmonton.ca/projects_plans/transit/valley-line-southeast

Media contact:
Jyllian Park
Communications Advisor
LRT Expansion & Renewal
Integrated Infrastructure Services
780-554-9001​

I bet the independent certifier refused to sign off until TransEd can run demonstration full-line service without any major infrastructure issues. I was wondering if they'd really sign off on it when the southern cables still needed to be replaced.

I bet the independent certifier refused to sign off until TransEd can run demonstration full-line service without any major infrastructure issues. I was wondering if they'd really sign off on it when the southern cables still needed to be replaced.
They most likely would have. If the cables were merely oxidized, but still operated fine, the demonstration wouldn’t have been effected. It seems more likely that Transed didn’t want to have to shutter service (ie not operate trains in a specific section) to replace the cables during operations.

So they will update us about expected completion dates, closer to completion. Well that's the closest we have gotten to anything concrete in a long time.

It seems like the end may be in sight, that is unless of course they discover another undiscovered problem.

Back