DSC0256120-09-03.jpg
DSC0256120-09-03 1.jpg
DSC0256120-09-03 2.jpg
DSC0256120-09-03 3.jpg

Attachments

• DSC0256120-09-03 4.jpg
    DSC0256120-09-03 4.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 133

I love that the temporary WEM Transit centre is being used as a catalyst to redevelop that parking lot.

What's the hollow "box" on the Tawatinâ bridge for? Electrical wires?

private party box for ECC guests. no better place to smooze in the entire river valley. the views are stunning.

lol, which box do you mean? the one on the north top of bank, above the tunnel portal?

@dunno I know I thought the same thing! 😂

But yeah, from what I've seen they are planning to combine the LRT station and transit centre into a sort-of mega station, where you go above for the LRT platforms and wait under and inside for the buses.

Double-checking the pdf map booklet thingy from 2019 The LRT looks to go squarely on top of the existing bus station. That being said, the existing building is low enough they could build over it, or append it to the LRT viaduct somehow. In any event, the existing station will have to shut down during construction, so a temp site makes sense. According to this CBC article from when work started on the $3m building in 2016, the station was expected to last 15-20 years.
There's a theme i get from public documents about this project, and from comments my neighbour with the city makes; after the overly-ambitious scope of the SE line, the West line is being plodded ahead, as it was funded sooner than expected, and they want to play things safe. The utility relocations and site clearing are giving the project a very wide berth, and the construction timeline of 5-6 years for 14km, versus 3 for 13km on the SE leg is intentionally conservative. they want to give Contractors time and room to maneuver. The West leg wasn't expected to be built so soon; funding in 2019 came as a bit of a suprise, so the shovel-ready project was brought to tender. things like the West Ed bus station were expected to be left alone for longer than will actually happen. I say this living just north of the West line. We had neighbourhood renewal in 2017, and all of the water mains and fire hydrants were replaced on the assumption that Stony Plain would stay cars-only for a few more years. now those same mains are being replaced prematurely, and temporary (extra? idk we have a hydrant every, like, 150' in some places now) hydrants are already being installed. It's messy, but the timeline for this project even in 2017 was much farther out than it's proving to be.
IDK. thought i'd share. you really hope stuff like this is planned efficiently, but when opportunity (or provincial funding) comes along you gotta take it, even if it is sooner than expected.

Back