It looks like they have started grouting and post tensioning the segment over the west side of 170st. I don’t think they will re open that portion of the road for a while though, but I could be wrong.

Are the trains running today? I didn’t see any around Bonnie Doon. I was wondering if the inspectors are in the process of safety certification.

Every day I pass the directional signs along 100 Avenue that the city has erected to remind people that there are still businesses trying to stay alive on Stony Plain Road between 156 Street and 151 Street. Revolution Cycle actually attached large letters to the top of the city's signs, promoting their shop in much larger font than the other businesses. Those have since been removed and Revolution Cycle signs have been placed on their own further along the boulevard.

I always find it amusing to see that among the shops and services the city's signs are attempting to promote are two massage parlours--given the dim view some members of council seem to have of such businesses.

The Crosstown is such a debacle, makes the Valley Line look like an on-time Japanese rail project lol.
Crosstown is no worse than a lot of other major rail projects in this country.

Ottawa's Confederation Line was rushed into service with poor design and unproven vehicles and has been in and out of service for lengthy periods since its inception. The East and West extensions are both behind schedule and the overall project has become such a debacle that there is debate over whether Stage Three (which would include service to Kanata and Barrhaven) will even proceed. In addition, the Trillium Line is now 18 months behind schedule.

We have the Valley Line Southeast mess and prior to that had the Metro Line fiasco, which, as a CoE project, was entirely a municipal government disaster. There was no P3 partner to blame on that one.

The Canada Line was delivered on time but was woefully underdesigned and the infrastructure is insufficient to meet projected passenger volumes. Already there is discussion in the Lower Mainland about expensive modifications to allow longer trains. Of course this will compete for funding with other badly-needed projects, such as Arbutus-UBC SkyTrain and the Purple Line to the North Shore.

Are the trains running today? I didn’t see any around Bonnie Doon. I was wondering if the inspectors are in the process of safety certification.
Yes, trains were out, at least in the south.
You're also changing the concept for the certification that is being done. It is not "safety certification". Although no doubt safety aspects are included, the independent certification is going to be reviewing everything that has been done for testing and commissioning to make sure TransEd has been doing everything to industry standard and as may have been defined in the project agreement. Something like the emergency response practice they did no doubt generated a lot of paper work, and the independent certifier would be reviewing that. Likewise, they would be reviewing the commissioning procedures for the LRV's, so, more than just safety.

IMG_7119.jpeg

Bridge over Groat road
IMG_7122.jpeg

Stoney by Vi's for pies

View attachment 511875
Bridge over Groat road
View attachment 511876
Stoney by Vi's for pies
I just went to see the area, and I'm very happy with how it's going to look. Narrow streets, nicer sidewalks, more greenery. Glenora homes along the alignment will probably see an increase in value compared to before. I remember this being a relatively busy road, and I don't expect as much vehicle traffic once completed.

The Columbian coffee shop, Alexander Circle, and the neighbourhood in general was full of foot traffic this morning. I think this will get wealthier commuters on transit, and as classist as it sounds, that will only improve service and safety.

Of course the density around the stations will need to be a priority, but that battle is being fought.

Would it be worthwhile to build a multi-use connecting path at the Stony Plain Road bridge, connecting sidewalks at Stony Plain Road and Groat Road?

Can we get the city to temporarily take away left hand turns at the 156 Street and 100 Avenue intersection while the Valley Line is being constructed? The project has resulted in traffic funneled into a single lane each way westbound and eastbound and--in an example of sheer insanity--traffic is allowed to proceed in all directions from that single lane. At peak times there is always a vehicle attempting to make a left hand turn, which causes a major backlog behind them. I've seen eastbound cars backed up even beyond 158 Street, stuck behind some fool trying to turn left (north) at 156. There is little to no room for anyone to safely get past a vehicle waiting to turn left, so drivers behind are trapped.

Can we get the city to temporarily take away left hand turns at the 156 Street and 100 Avenue intersection while the Valley Line is being constructed? The project has resulted in traffic funneled into a single lane each way westbound and eastbound and--in an example of sheer insanity--traffic is allowed to proceed in all directions from that single lane. At peak times there is always a vehicle attempting to make a left hand turn, which causes a major backlog behind them. I've seen eastbound cars backed up even beyond 158 Street, stuck behind some fool trying to turn left (north) at 156. There is little to no room for anyone to safely get past a vehicle waiting to turn left, so drivers behind are trapped.
I'll one-up you: can we have the city take way left turns, full stop?

Back