That market segment completely confounds me. Who are these being built to serve? What's the target market? I'm an apartment dweller and those fringe properties would never be on my list of potentials.
I suppose there's people who don't want or aren't in a position to buy houses but work jobs out by the Henday or even out of town. Alternately, there's people who want/need apartments but can't find them within their price range where they actually want to be due to previous zoning limitations preventing densification of inner suburbia.

That market segment completely confounds me. Who are these being built to serve? What's the target market? I'm an apartment dweller and those fringe properties would never be on my list of potentials.
Edmonton's employment is fairly decentralized and there is a lot of employers in proximity to the Henday or in adjacent industrial areas like Nisku, Acheson, or Strathcona County. It can make quite a bit of sense for those people. Or people who may work from home for a few days during the week and living in these areas can be more affordable than being somewhere more central.

Look at apartment options that are 2bdrms under 2k.

You have 1) crappy old stuff in mature areas, 2) high rise type stuff with the challenges of more urban forms (price, parking, unit sizes, ease of driving to/from for visitors or self, poor proximity to schools), or 3) newer/nicer and more affordable apartments in new suburbs (or griesbach/Century park/stadium).

There’s little supply in “mature, but non urban” areas that’s not older/sketchier (see SPR, callingwood). That’s the missing gap here. Plus, for an extra 15min drive, the options are way better outside the henday.

I actually wonder if our density targets in new suburbs has backfired. If we had kept most new suburbs to be townhomes or lower, it’d lead to more apartments centrally I think. If we mandated density over 3 stories had to be within 1km of a transit station (major bus station or train stop), would that have helped us?

It's hard to compete against new and (relatively) affordable.

I wonder if it would be a game changer if they added projected transportation costs into mortgage affordability equations. Distance to work, availability of quality transit to work, likeliness of needing multiple vehicles based on Walkscore and Transitscore, etc.

Love this option!
---

Valley Line Southeast takes you to the Edmonton Folk Festival
August 6, 2024

For the first time, Edmonton Folk Music Festival attendees will be able to take the Valley Line Southeast to the festival grounds at Gallagher Park.

The Valley Line Southeast schedule will be as follows:
Thursday, August 8 and Friday, August 9: From start of service to 6:30 p.m., trains will run at normal frequency. Between 6:30 p.m. and the end of service, trains will run every 10 minutes.
Saturday, August 10: Trains run every 10 minutes all day.
Sunday, August 11: From start of service to 2:30 p.m., frequency will continue normally at every 15 minutes. From 2:30 p.m. to the end of service, trains will run every 10 minutes.

Festival attendees from Sherwood Park can take Route 411 to Gallagher Park. More information is available on the Strathcona County website.

Parking is available at Davies Transit Centre.

Regular fares apply. To ensure a smooth and safe transit journey for everyone, we recommend attendees purchase fare products before starting the trip. This could be an Arc card/ticket, a pack of paper tickets or a Family/Day pass, depending on their needs. Operators and ETS staff do not carry change or fare products.

For riders who regularly take transit to events and pay cash fare, purchasing an Arc card is recommended.

For non-regular transit riders or for people who live outside of the Edmonton region, Arc single-use tickets can be purchased through Arc vending machines at transit centres and LRT stations and other ETS products can be purchased at various sales outlets.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/ETSEvents

Media contact:
Samantha MacAulay
Communications Coordinator
City Operations

IMG_3001.jpeg
IMG_3002.jpeg
IMG_3007.jpeg
IMG_3008.jpeg

GM puchased a lot of streetcar lines around 1951 and they were bulldozed. I think there would be some value restoring some of the old routes.

Back