The best bridge in the city bar none. And yes that includes the venerable High Level... Also glad that even though there's only 3 lanes in operation on it, it's designed to be converted to 4 lanes if needed. Aka it's a piece of future-proofed infrastructure... Something that this city doesn't tend to do a lot of... Personally I think this is gonna have to happen if and when the said High Level is closed for a rebuild... There were rumours kicking around here about a potential 2023-2024 project start for that.. Kinda hope that might be the case... That at least will allow 2 lanes North and South to use the Walterdale while HLB is worked on...

2021-01-02 279.JPG

I got excited for a minute and thought this post was about a new bridge to replace the Low Level and the road up the hill to the Mac.
I hope those two don't get replaced for a while. One of them was the first bridge in Edmonton, and it also had tracks for trains and streetcars for a while as well.

Also, did anyone else refer to the old Walterdale as the Low Level Bridge? It just made sense to me, given that it was right next to the High Level and they carry different traffic directions. I didnt learn its actual name until the replacement project started up.

And they both had 2-way traffic!
The Walterdale bridge used to be called the105th Street Bridge, renamed in the late 1960s to Walterdale. The Low Level has always been called that because I think it proceeds Walterdale, thus the "low level" to the High Level though it might have had another moniker prior?

Attachments

• 1615701261310.png
    1615701261310.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
And they both had 2-way traffic!
The Walterdale bridge used to be called the105th Street Bridge, renamed in the late 1960s to Walterdale. The Low Level has always been called that because I think it proceeds Walterdale, thus the "low level" to the High Level though it might have had another moniker prior?

Yes, that's right! I told a friend about that when we were on the high level a while back, and they didn't belive me lol. Thanks for that pic of the Walterdale, I hadn't seen it before!

Here's the high level back in 1979.
ET-28-853_141.jpg

Source

That *new* hillside is amazing for so many reasons.

It's busy in the winter with toboggans and PACKED on nice afternoons evenings throughout the year as there is nigh a better spot in my opinion to see the city and sunset.

Pair it with a river promenade on the north bank, a gondola for improved access and make those two pump houses restaurants and all of a sudden Edmonton becomes a much more attractive place to visit.

Back