What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Chicken or Egg riddle -- how do you expect to get more people without development? Think it through man!

It's certainly better than a surface parking lot and the amount of glass will make walking along 97th more welcoming, but there will need to be far more than this to feel any discernible difference. The Quarters needs 2-3 significant multi-fam projects of say 150-200 units each before you will have even some street life there and spreading out to 97th.

It's certainly better than a surface parking lot and the amount of glass will make walking along 97th more welcoming, but there will need to be far more than this to feel any discernible difference. The Quarters needs 2-3 significant multi-fam projects of say 150-200 units each before you will have even some street life there and spreading out to 97th.

Taking the VLSE and seeing all the gravel parking lots in the Quarters makes me sad. ☹️

Really hoping things look different by the end of the decade.

It needs someone to take a risk, it's the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Get a large scale residential project going on 96st and others will follow.
That would require the land owners to care. They are happy sitting on their ass doing nothing and just collecting parking revenue.

I think this area should be designated for higher density use than six storey condos. If there's a 24 storey tower at 95 Street, I think something could be built to complement 97 Street.

We have so much empty land around downtown that there is no need for the Quarters to be more than 6 stories. Make it a whole bunch of Dauk Commons style places and the area will be fantastic. By the time we run out of space to build towers the buildings will have hit end of life anyways.

If I were to build in the Quarters (that's a big IF), these are the most developable empty lots in the quarters right now IMO. The lots directly adjacent of the artist residence (red roof) is where I would start.
The building outlined in black is for sale at the moment.

*I missed the empty lots behind Brighton Block

quarters lots 2.jpg

Try convincing somebody, and their lender, to take on elevated investment risk in what has to be one of the sketchiest and almost entirely vacant parts of the downtown area. You're way up the risk curve without the commensurate potential for outsized returns to compensate for the elevated risk.

I'd say that the current state of the quarters is the clearest indication of the risks/rewards of investing and building in that area, let alone convincing at least 50% of the population that it's a safe area to live.

Back