News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The 2022 numbers state Edmonton CMA received only 1/6 (30,000) of all Alberta immigrants (200,000).
I find that hard to believe.
Likewise. I also notice the different wording - net migration vs. net population growth, so I feel the charts may not be measuring exactly the same thing.

One million more people in 25 years would take a 2% annual growth in that time frame. A reasonable assumption

^bingo.

2% is generally regarded as ideal for growth across a variety of metrics.

As the saying goes, predictions are hard, especially about the future. So I feel planners sometimes just predict what they want to have happen.

Also in reality that two percent long term average could include both years well above that and years below that.

As the saying goes, predictions are hard, especially about the future. So I feel planners sometimes just predict what they want to have happen.

Also in reality that two percent long term average could include both years well above that and years below that.
Looking at Canada's projection for 2050 and the last 25 years of trend for Edmonton, I wouldn't be shocked if we were at a 2.5% growth rate over the next 25 years, or even 3%. I would rather the region was preparing for adding 1.5-2M people within this span, and be over prepared than falling short because they were too timid with their projections.

Isn't the point of the planning exercise to plan for actual growth, not what the ideal would be?

2% permits infrastructure and services to generally keep up and not stress the community, budgets and integration of new projects into a city.

Back