News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yes. New Mark I cars. A model which only they can make. The price escalation on those has been high enough that we've opted to spend hundreds of millions reconfiguring the line rather than purchase a modernized version of them.

It was not intentional but the result is the same. Single vendor lockin and they hold patents which prevent other companies from building something otherwise we could get a custom unit (same size/shape and with a LIM system) from another manufacturer.

The TTC is not spending hundreds of millions but a truly staggering $1.2 billion for 5km of track and somehow it is going to take them 4 years to do it.

It was not intentional but the result is the same. Single vendor lockin and they hold patents which prevent other companies from building something otherwise we could get a custom unit (same size/shape and with a LIM system) from another manufacturer.

Hitachi (Kawaski?) also makes a LIM driven subway train - it's used on one of the Tokyo lines and in Fukuoka City (apparently there are 4 of them in Japan):

http://www.hitachi-rail.com/products/rv/linear/index.html

Features:
http://www.hitachi-rail.com/products/rv/linear/features/index.html
http://www.hitachi-rail.com/products/rv/linear/features/index_2.html

Video of the Fukuoka City Linear Metro - interesting that it says it has a rigid overhead power rail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqrZQUfcQJM

You can see the "reaction rail" between the tracks:
53984453.FUKUOKA.JPG

http://www.pbase.com/dickh/image/53984453

See list of Linear Motor rapid transit lines here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_motor

and an interesting article on the Japanese development of LIMs here:
http://ss7.inet-osaka.or.jp/~teraoka/old/tera98/ml98edit.htm

Last edited:
The reason that the subway stops so often at red signals in the tunnel is that Toronto has an outdated signalling system. If it were replaced with a modern signalling system there would be fewer delays like this.

The problem with "signal priority" is that once you run headways less than about 5 minutes, full signal priority causes too much disruption to cross traffic, so the signal priority must be turned off or made less effective, resulting in streetcars stopping at red lights all the time. Subways can run 2 minute headways without any of this nonsense.

The problem with "signal priority" is that once you run headways less than about 5 minutes, full signal priority causes too much disruption to cross traffic, so the signal priority must be turned off or made less effective, resulting in streetcars stopping at red lights all the time.

That is true if the vehicles are allowed to flow freely and the lights are completely independent of the LRT operation save for triggers embedded in the road. However if a top of the line signalling solution underground is to be compared with an above ground solution it can't be a lack of proper signalling that we compare it to. If the intersection traffic lights are part of an overall LRT signalling network then there is no reason that it would cause any additional disruption to not have LRT waiting at red lights. An LRT that doesn't need to accelerate from stop through the intersection clears the intersection more quickly. Lets not compare a well signalled track and properly spaced vehicle underground solution to an independently signalled intersection and poorly spaced vehicle solution. In addition, vehicle headway is dictated by vehicle size and if LRTs short turned to cover the lower ridership sections at a lesser frequency then the impact on intersections could be reduced.

Hitachi (Kawaski?) also makes a LIM driven subway train - it's used on one of the Tokyo lines and in Fukuoka City (apparently there are 4 of them in Japan):

Yup, but I'm pretty certain they are not compatible with Bombardier's system. We would still need to gut all of the LIM mechanisms currently in place and install their version.

This may be true of the signalling/control system on the SRT too.

Once you've done that, might as well switch to standard 3rd rail or overhead wire which anybody can build a compatible vehicle for from standard parts.

I thought everyone here actually used the subway and was fully aware that it had red lights too!

Not sure I see much difference between those frequent red lights in the tunnel, and the very infrequent red light a surface LRT would hit at a level crossing ... why is one fine, and the other less common one verboten?

That's absurd. I've ridden the subway hundreds of times. You know what, GO trains have lights too!

You have to be really intent on twisting things around to imply I was talking about anything other than traffic lights.

You have to be really intent on twisting things around to imply I was talking about anything other than traffic lights.
It was 100% clear you were talking about traffic lights. You have completely missed the point.

My point was that subway also has to stop based on traffic. Having an LRT stop at 2 or 3 red lights isn't the end of the world. The impact on travel time is negligible - maybe 1-2 minutes over that stretch. The major impact to travel time for the surface section isn't the lights, it's all the extra stops.

Can we please get off the subway red light conversation?

The most cost effective, least disruptive, and easiest option is simply to extend the line as SkyTrain using the MK111 trains. It would be a hell of a lot faster with far higher capacity than LRT and be cheaper to boot due to not having to switch the line to LRt and reno all the stations.

The most cost effective, least disruptive, and easiest option is simply to extend the line as SkyTrain using the MK111 trains. It would be a hell of a lot faster with far higher capacity than LRT and be cheaper to boot due to not having to switch the line to LRt and reno all the stations.

I agree with you 100%, use skytrain or a technology similar to that and put it on Eglinton. Elevate it in Scarborough, underground through midtown, and elevated or trenched in the westend. Eglinton does not need a slow LRT.If my memory serves me correct wasn’t that Metrolinx's original plan before their 2008 Big Move Report was leaked and Miller kept pushing for his lousy LRT plan.

This misunderstanding some people have that surface LRT with a few lights is going to be much slower than subway is key to the entire discussion.

Would you prefer we start singing the Monorail song?

I agree with you 100%, use skytrain or a technology similar to that and put it on Eglinton. Elevate it in Scarborough, underground through midtown, and elevated or trenched in the westend. Eglinton does not need a slow LRT.If my memory serves me correct wasn’t that Metrolinx's original plan before their 2008 Big Move Report was leaked and Miller kept pushing for his lousy LRT plan.

Does anyone remember Rob Ford talking about Elevated Rail on Eglinton - maybe in 2009 or 2010 in the campaign? I think he might have called it monorail. Did Ford always want subway, or did TTC convince him that elevated would not work adn that is why since the 2011 Memorandum all the talk was underground.

I think Doug Ford and his Monorail was a different one.

Last edited:

What are the options for Eglinton. I drew up a table that tries to summarize (sorry for the appearance, I couldn't figure out how to do a real table). Feel free to comment.

..................................... LRT-TC...... LRT-Ford......... ICTS.......... HRT
Weston to Brentcliffe......... Tunnel....... Tunnel............ Tunnel........ Tunnel
Don River W..................... Median....... Tunnel?........... S. Side....... Tunnel
Don Mills......................... Shallow....... Tunnel............ Shallow....... Tunnel
DVP................................ Median....... Tunnel?........... Elevate....... Tunnel
Don River E...................... Median....... Tunnel?........... Elevate....... Tunnel
VP to Kennedy................. Median........ Tunnel?........... Elevate....... Tunnel
Kennedy Station............... Tunnel........ Tunnel?........... Existing?..... Tunnel
Through to STC................ No............. Yes................ Yes............. No
Thus; Eglinton & SRT......... 2 lines........ 1 line.............. 1 line........... 2 lines
SRT Closure..................... 4 years....... 4 years........... 1 year......... 4 years
Cost............................... $6.4 B........ $8.4 B............. $6.8 B......... $8.4 B
Capacity......................... 10k/hr........ 15k/hr............. 20k/hr......... 40k/hr

Future Extension
to Milner......................... Elevate....... Elevate............. Elevate....... ?
north of Milner.................. Grade......... Elevate............ Elevate....... ?
Jane............................... Grade?....... Tunnel.............. Elevate....... Tunnel
West of Jane................... Grade......... Tunnel.............. Tunnel........ Tunnel

Back