News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

E-scooter use in Ottawa declines at mid-point of pilot program
“We should be putting e-scooters at O-Train stations," says one city councillor. "Maybe we should be putting them at bus stops."

Koyuki Hayashi, Special to the Citizen
Published Dec 30, 2023 • Last updated 2 hours ago • 4 minute read

E-scooter use in Ottawa declined significantly halfway into the city’s four-year pilot program.

A City of Ottawa data analysis reported an 84-per-cent decrease in trips using e-scooters in 2022, or about 80,000 total trips, which was 410,000 fewer than in 2021. The city also found that the number of unique riders decreased by 74 per cent: 33,000 for the 2022 season compared to 127,000 in the previous year.

Ottawa’s e-scooter pilot program was launched on Jan. 1, 2020, by the province, whose goal was to reduce carbon emission, reduce traffic congestion and air pollution in Ontario municipalities.

The earlier stages of the Ottawa pilot program showed promise.

<more>

Maybe regulating the hell out of the simple act of scooting has had a negative impact. No surprise there.

Last time I rented one of these, I only went one block before I was notified I was in a no-go zone and the scooter wouldn't work. Then I had to drag it 300m until it registered that it was back into a regular zone so I could shut the damn thing off. Cost me $12 or some ridiculous amount.

I LOVE scooting, other countries have figured it out. Stockholm was absolutely made for scooters, spent several days exploring a 1-2 hour scooting perimeter around downtown. Detroit as well, I scooted as far as possible up and down the riverfront, and back into the more 'fun' parts of the inner city. No problems at all.

The City can't put stupid, intricate no-go geofences every 100m and expect the experience to be enjoyable. Either allow scooters everywhere, or ban them everywhere. Not allowing scooters on NCC pathways is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

If Karen is afraid of scooters on Laurier or Sparks, then put a 'go-slow' geofence. Don't put a 'no-go'.

Rant complete. I'm off to buy my own private scooter, and break the law everywhere, especially commuting to work on our O-Train bike paths via electric scooter (alongside Alain-Michelle from Aylmer on his jail-broken, 75km/hr electric friggin' moped on the bike path) because nobody's going to stop me anyways.

Agreed. I love this idea and it could be a great middle ground between driving cars & walking/taking transit (which some people might never be convinced to do). But the costs were a bit high and the over-regulation is killing (can't go here, can't go there, don't use on parkways, not on sidewalks but not the roads either, etc). I hope the city learns and course corrects instead of letting it die a slow death and giving up.

Back