News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I imagine the Edmonton station will most likely be just south of Whyte Ave. Especially if there‘s people involved in both this and the gondola, they’re going to want a seamless transfer point between the two.

And as someone who works on CP’s line between Edmonton and Calgary, I am very excited to see this get under construction. 🤩

I also read an article on a similar rail link between Calgary and Banff.
That'll be more of a regional rail service using existing tracks as opposed to an HSR like this, but it's still exciting nonetheless! A service like that linking up with the HSR and an airport link will be huge for public transport in the province.

I also read an article on a similar rail link between Calgary and Banff.
There was an MOU established a couple of years ago and multiple proponents working on initial feasibility in the background.

At our breakfast with the Minister Toews last week, he mentioned that 'projects such as this' are what they are interested in looking into to see if they can create a bunch of jobs, reduce vehicular traffic, reduce CO2/GHG and directly connect more communities along the route to help provide greater housing options in the valley for those who work here.

There was an MOU established a couple of years ago and multiple proponents working on initial feasibility in the background.

At our breakfast with the Minister Toews last week, he mentioned that 'projects such as this' are what they are interested in looking into to see if they can create a bunch of jobs, reduce vehicular traffic, reduce CO2/GHG and directly connect more communities along the route to help provide greater housing options in the valley for those who work here.

Great idea let’s take the money out of the health care budget.

Great idea let’s take the money out of the health care budget.
I'm against cuts to healthcare as well, but I also think that the government can spend money on multiple things at once. We shouldn't oppose spending on high quality public transportation just because cuts have already been made elsewhere; otherwise we'd never progress while a Conservative government was in power. To be honest, I'm surprised that the UCP supports this project and I want it to go ahead before that changes.

I'm against cuts to healthcare as well, but I also think that the government can spend money on multiple things at once. We shouldn't oppose spending on high quality public transportation just because cuts have already been made elsewhere; otherwise we'd never progress while a Conservative government was in power. To be honest, I'm surprised that the UCP supports this project and I want it to go ahead before that changes.
The point I’m trying to make is Toews can promote a questionable rail line at a breakfast meeting and demand a wage roll back in the same week. Let’s build a railway for billions of dollars with no proven demand but nurses have to help balance the budget. It is nothing more than politics union bashing for his right wing red necks while promising jobs. Start a bus route with electric buses first to see if you can grow a market for such a service don’t just build a railway because you think it is sexy.

I wonder how it would tie-in to this?

Much more on the Calgary-Banff train here:

FGGzXW2X0AEVwPx

From above

"The CABR system will operate on a new, dedicated passenger line built within the existing CP Rail freight corridor and will provide high frequency, reliable service between 7 stations: Calgary Airport, Calgary Downtown, Calgary Keith, Cochrane, Morley (Stoney Nakoda), Canmore and Banff. Net ticket costs from Calgary to Banff for Albertans are estimated to be about $20 taking into account anticipated discounts to the Park."

Das hot. They should call this the CARB system because I'm eating it up.

Last edited:
"The CABR system will operate on a new, dedicated passenger line built within the existing CP Rail freight corridor and will provide high frequency, reliable service between 7 stations: Calgary Airport, Calgary Downtown, Calgary Keith, Cochrane, Morley (Stoney Nakoda), Canmore and Banff. Net ticket costs from Calgary to Banff for Albertans are estimated to be about $20 taking into account anticipated discounts to the Park."

Das hot. They should call this the CARB system because I'm eating all this up.

I hope they can eventually get it out to Lake Louise as well, that would also be delicious.

(And if they could get a special steam train service going.... well... SPLOOSH!)

Call me petty, but I see this as another nail on Edmonton's coffin. Sum it to the fact that I think Banff is overrated, and you can imagine my opinion on this thing getting built.

I also believe that the HRS + this project would kill YEG for good.
I see where you're coming from, but I think Edmonton is well positioned due to the interconnected nature of this region. I mean, we have the Industrial Heartland, increasing integration through the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board, the regional transit service that's launching plus regional smart fare, etc. One city might be easy to beat, but an interconnected region is a different ball game in my opinion. Banff is a nice place to visit, but that doesn't mean having high speed rail going there can make up for investing in a region of communities working together and playing on each other's strengths. As long as we continue to integrate more and present ourselves to potential investors, major employers, etc. as one region rather than multiple separate and isolated municipalities, I think the future can be bright for us as well :)

HSR to Canmore and Banff from Calgary will only make Canmore more of a s**tshow rat race than it already is, ditto for Banff. More reason to avoid both places going forward.

I'll take the quieter and less developed Jasper over both those places any day

Last edited:
HSR to Canmore and Banff from Calgary will only make Canmore more of a s**tshow rat race than it already is, ditto for Banff even. More reason to avoid both places going forward.

I'll take the quieter and less developed Jasper over both those places any day
Same here! I love Jasper's ambience.

I see where you're coming from, but I think Edmonton is well positioned due to the interconnected nature of this region. I mean, we have the Industrial Heartland, increasing integration through the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board, the regional transit service that's launching plus regional smart fare, etc. One city might be easy to beat, but an interconnected region is a different ball game in my opinion. Banff is a nice place to visit, but that doesn't mean having high speed rail going there can make up for investing in a region of communities working together and playing on each other's strengths. As long as we continue to integrate more and present ourselves to potential investors, major employers, etc. as one region rather than multiple separate and isolated municipalities, I think the future can be bright for us as well :)

To your point, my main concern is for YEG and the potential to actually attract new international routes, and for Edmonton's visibility as a whole.

Back