No regular direct underground access to the mall is very disappointing and misleading. Do we have access to TTC subway from the inside of the condo? Or have to walk outside?

Don't know about you guys, can't believe everything you say from them anymore...to me sounds like a marketing ploy from the beginning to sell. I don't even think the sales ppl(Karen, etc...) even knew what was definitely legit or not. The home builder probably just instructed them to say it to sell....maybe they weren't even sure, but it sounded good to them.

Natalie from Emerald confirmed that there is no direct underground access to the mall. Only the subway right in front of the tower. Very disappointed!

And another thing...you know how they say the units are 9 ft ceilings? I betcha it will NOT be like that consistent all the way around. Walking in from the door and some of the edges will probably be 8 ft and most of the bedroom will be 8 ft as well. Happened to a friend of mine who has a Tridel so I would not be surprised here.

No regular direct underground access to the mall is very disappointing and misleading. Do we have access to TTC subway from the inside of the condo? Or have to walk outside?

Don't know about you guys, can't believe everything you say from them anymore...to me sounds like a marketing ploy from the beginning to sell. I don't even think the sales ppl(Karen, etc...) even knew what was definitely legit or not. The home builder probably just instructed them to say it to sell....maybe they weren't even sure, but it sounded good to them.

I have to say that I fully agree with this. I'll be trying to dig up the contract tonight to see exactly what they say.

It's such a slap in the face... after all the problems with delays on top of delays, this misleading marketing is downright offensive.

It also says here on their website now "Underground connection to Fairview mall"

http://emeraldcitylife.ca/emerald-city-1.php

In their giant brochure, on "The Eighth Wonder" page, it says "Its underground connection to Fairview Mall and its direct access to the Sheppard subway line makes it a location that is the ultimate in convenience".

AS for the Subway:
"It is anticipated that pedestrian access to and from the Don Mills subway station shall be facilitated by the use of a covered pedestrial walkway adjacent to that structure provicding access to and from the Don Mills subway station, which structure is located at the south-east corner of Sheppard Avenue East and the Don Mills Road." (Pg. 10 of Condominium Documents).

So I guess the "direct access" to the subway is a nice little roof that leads you to the outdoor stop...

Underground Access

You are right, to get in the actual tunnel you do need to pay... this happens before you even get underground.

If it's true that there's no direct mall access without having to pay for the subway, I'll be very disappointed. It feels like they advertised something that is barely even a half-truth. If the only way you can get to the mall is through the actual subway station, then they might as well advertise "direct access" to anywhere the subway takes you, as well.

You DO NOT have to pay to get into the tunnel....I have walked it myself. When you go into the subway entrance on sheppard, in front of tower one, you can walk through the tunnel (under sheppard ave) and come up at the passenger drop off and pick up area. When you come out of the passenger drop off and pick up area, you are technically on Fairview Mall property. From there its a few more steps into the sears entrance. So while the tunnel does not take you INTO the mall, it does take you ONTO the mall property. Once again you do not have to pay to walk that tunnel. I made sure I walked it a few times before my cooling off period ended, and its really not so bad.

You DO NOT have to pay to get into the tunnel....I have walked it myself. When you go into the subway entrance on sheppard, in front of tower one, you can walk through the tunnel (under sheppard ave) and come up at the passenger drop off and pick up area. When you come out of the passenger drop off and pick up area, you are technically on Fairview Mall property. From there its a few more steps into the sears entrance. So while the tunnel does not take you INTO the mall, it does take you ONTO the mall property. Once again you do not have to pay to walk that tunnel. I made sure I walked it a few times before my cooling off period ended, and its really not so bad.

I was talking about the tunnel that begins where the Sears subway entrance is. I'm not sure where the passenger drop off and pick up area is, I just know that whenever I took the subway from Sears there was always someone there to collect tolls before going through the revolving door into the paid area.

I found this link that shows the corridors... perhaps there is something we're missing? I see that some areas are listed as "unpaid", so hopefully you are right and there is a way to get through without paying (since paying just to get to the mall would be ridiculous).

http://www.ttc.ca/Subway/Stations/Don_Mills/Accessible_Alternative.jsp

Last edited:
If you look at the TTC link you attached, Sheppard doors of Tower 1 are literally about half a dozen steps from the South Side of Sheppard entrance in the area marked as "unpaid" and it comes up at Passenger Drop off

If you look at the TTC link you attached, Sheppard doors of Tower 1 are literally about half a dozen steps from the South Side of Sheppard entrance in the area marked as "unpaid" and it comes up at Passenger Drop off

I guess I'll try walking it, too, the next time I'm at Fairview. Even though it's not what I (and likely a few others) imagined, it's still something. It'll get the job done during the winter or when it rains!

I guess I'll try walking it, too, the next time I'm at Fairview. Even though it's not what I (and likely a few others) imagined, it's still something. It'll get the job done during the winter or when it rains!

I agree... I think one thing with respect to the promo material is that they were using that wording to promote all three towers. There is an underground tunnel that connects towers 1 , 2 and 3 so if you live in tower 3, you have underground access to the mall (parking lot) with the exception of those half dozen steps from the Sheppard door of tower 1 to the subway entrance.

I agree... I think one thing with respect to the promo material is that they were using that wording to promote all three towers. There is an underground tunnel that connects towers 1 , 2 and 3 so if you live in tower 3, you have underground access to the mall (parking lot) with the exception of those half dozen steps from the Sheppard door of tower 1 to the subway entrance.

Yes, the wording is definitely misleading! Marketing at its best :/

Back