News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

kaseyjones

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi,

We are thinking of renting a unit in a condo (65 scadding) in the esplanade area. The condo is surrounded by community housing, and we are (unfairly maybe) concerned about safety issues, especially since the unit is on the ground floor with a terrace, and may provide easy access from the outside. Our are fears justified? I have a co-worker who lives on the Esplanade and said that it can be quite sketchy at night with drug dealers, etc.

Thanks.

Hi,

We are thinking of renting a unit in a condo (65 scadding) in the esplanade area. The condo is surrounded by community housing, and we are (unfairly maybe) concerned about safety issues, especially since the unit is on the ground floor with a terrace, and may provide easy access from the outside. Our are fears justified? I have a co-worker who lives on the Esplanade and said that it can be quite sketchy at night with drug dealers, etc.

Thanks.

Ground floor units are always a bit of a problem but The Esplanade is actually quite a safe area and this is a nice building - I have friends who live there. Actually the area is a very pleasant mix of condominiums, co-ops and social housing and 65 Scadding is far from the only condo building in the area. Why not talk to their Property Manager to see if there have been many security problems? The building has a website at: http://www.stlawrenceonthepark.ca/

depends ...... relative to other areas of downtown (ie sherborune/dundas) then it's pretty safe. But if you're coming from Milton then it gonna feel like a ghetto ;) ...... Yes, there's drug dealers, sketchy people, hip hop wannabe gangstas that live in those condos but that's a small minority of them.

depends ...... relative to other areas of downtown (ie sherborune/dundas) then it's pretty safe. But if you're coming from Milton then it gonna feel like a ghetto ;) ...... Yes, there's drug dealers, sketchy people, hip hop wannabe gangstas that live in those condos but that's a small minority of them.

I wouldn't legitimize the ignorance and snobbery of a clueless suburbanite who'd call the Esplanade "ghetto". Such an attitude is either laughable or reprehensible, depending on one's mood. (Besides, Milton has it's share of drug dealers and hip hop wannabe gangstas.)

In terms of safety and the likelihood barbarous acts committed on the Esplanade I'd note that, for one, the area's low-income housing is a part of very successful coop project and I never hear of it on the local news in a negative light. But low-income housing is hardly an issue in-and-of-itself. The real question is how the street functions. Is it vibrant with diverse groups of people throughout the day and after dark? Are there a lot of eyes on the street at different times of the day? Businesses like grocery stores, pharmacies, hotels, and bars can keep normal people on the streets into the late evening. It's best to go there yourself to judge if the street functions well. In my experience, it has it has a lot of diverse uses which should keep it safe.

I lived at 222 The Esplanade for a couple of years (across the park from 65 Scadding) and I LOVED living in the area and had no concerns about safety. I am in female in my mid twenties and never felt threatened or scared walking in the area late at night. Lots of families around and there is a great sense of community in the area.

thanks to all who replied...
we may be giving up a cabbagetown apartment to live here...just want to make sure that the trade is worth it if we do decide to move.

I wouldn't legitimize the ignorance and snobbery of a clueless suburbanite who'd call the Esplanade "ghetto". Such an attitude is either laughable or reprehensible, depending on one's mood. (Besides, Milton has it's share of drug dealers and hip hop wannabe gangstas.)

To be fair, I don't think MBS was calling the area ghetto, but rather saying it isn't but compared to other areas it may "relatively" feel ghetto. Relative being the operative word.

In terms of safety and the likelihood barbarous acts committed on the Esplanade I'd note that, for one, the area's low-income housing is a part of very successful coop project and I never hear of it on the local news in a negative light. But low-income housing is hardly an issue in-and-of-itself. The real question is how the street functions. Is it vibrant with diverse groups of people throughout the day and after dark? Are there a lot of eyes on the street at different times of the day? Businesses like grocery stores, pharmacies, hotels, and bars can keep normal people on the streets into the late evening. It's best to go there yourself to judge if the street functions well. In my experience, it has it has a lot of diverse uses which should keep it safe.

This says it. This neighbourhood is modelled world wide as a successful neighbourhood with a mix of low, middle, and high income. The way the neighbourhood functions altogether is what matters most and I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the St. Lawrence Market area.

There should be no worries, the area is pretty active with lots of people around.
Just use your common sense.

Back