News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Admin has been making City Council aware of our lack of money in general for several years now. This council refuses to prioritize imo. You can't fund everything. For example, the Downtown to airport bus admin reminded council of the service shortfall we currently have.

And you can't afford to build a hydrogen bus fleet when you can't even replace what you've got or improve bus service to fix the shortfall.
You can never fund everything, except in the perfect world. I would argue having decent transportation to the airport is more of a priority than say having more buses to some suburban areas. And you probably could have a good cost recovery on the airport route. It would be cost competitive with other current options, travelers would be willing to pay for it.

We seem to have went in the electric direction with buses, so I am not sure if going with hydrogen now would make sense or be easy to do.

Transit Productivity (weekday boardings per hour) - Attachment 3

Local Routes - Weekday Off Peak:
weekday-offpeak.png

Local Routes - Weekday Peaks:
weekday-peaks.png

Frequent, Rapid, Crosstown - Weekday Off-Peak
offpeak-weekday-frequent-rapid-crosstown.png

Frequent, Rapid, Crosstown - Weekday Peaks
peaks-weekday-frequent-rapid-crosstown.png

Community Routes - Weekday Off-Peak
weekday-community-offpeak.png

Transit Productivity (weekday boardings per hour) - Attachment 3

Local Routes - Weekday Off Peak:
View attachment 547207

Local Routes - Weekday Peaks:
View attachment 547208

Frequent, Rapid, Crosstown - Weekday Off-Peak
View attachment 547211

Frequent, Rapid, Crosstown - Weekday Peaks
View attachment 547212

Community Routes - Weekday Off-Peak
View attachment 547214
The 3 is my main bus route and it is quite busy, which aligns with this data. Connecting two LRT stations (Stadium and Kingsway/Royal Alex) and a major transit centre (Westmount), plus major employers (Royal Alex and Kingsway) will do that.

This is Paris. These open and close really fast. they move inwards/outwards rather than open/close like a door.

View attachment 547473
Sao Paulo's are like these as well. and the distance between the reader and the doors is long-ish, so it's basically impossible to do what people are doing in NYC (trust me, if it were possible, people would... It's sad, but the reality is that the stereotype of Brazilians trying to get around every law and rule they can is true).

I'm surprised by this NY debacle, but its clear from comments here some other places have it figured out much better.

When I was in Southeast Asia (mainly on the Singapore MRT and the Bangkok BTS/MRT), people weren't even trying to fare skip. It wouldn't have been too difficult as the doors would be quite easy to jump over in most places, though they do close quite quickly. People just don't do it. It helps that there are many staff at all stations, whether it be security, ticket vendors, etc, so if you did try to do it, you would most likely be caught almost immediately. I also think there's a cultural element as well.

Back