News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'd be curious to know the date on that photo. Queen Street across from Osgood Hall, especially on the corner, is remarkably bare.

That building under construction on the left looks like the Victory Building on Richmond at Bay, which was completed in 1930, so I'd guess that was when the picture was taken.

Commerce Court North was completed in 1931 so that makes me unsure though as it looks finished in that picture.

That building under construction on the left looks like the Victory Building on Richmond at Bay, which was completed in 1930, so I'd guess that was when the picture was taken.

Commerce Court North was completed in 1931 so that makes me unsure though as it looks finished in that picture.

Thanks for pointing out the Victory. That actually does give us a plausible timeframe

While started in 1929, construction was halted in 1930; the Victory was more or less a shell and sat partially completed (including the top floors, which were just the concrete framing) until work started again in 1936 and completed in 1937. This photo looks to have captured it in this partially completed state, which would narrow the photo down to the 1931-1936 timeframe.

Toronto noir:

6243520952_81b15cf22e_o.jpg

Here are those stores on the south side of Queen facing Osgoode Hall.
This was 1931 when buildings were being demolished for the extension of University Ave.
I expect the night shot was taken shortly after the University extension was completed.

SiteoftheFourSeasonsCentreforthePerformingArts1931-1.jpg

They may have been demolished awaiting the construction of the Supreme Court of Ontario building,

which gave way to the present Opera House.

Regards,
J T

Thanks for pointing out the Victory. That actually does give us a plausible timeframe

While started in 1929, construction was halted in 1930; the Victory was more or less a shell and sat partially completed (including the top floors, which were just the concrete framing) until work started again in 1936 and completed in 1937. This photo looks to have captured it in this partially completed state, which would narrow the photo down to the 1931-1936 timeframe.

Ah, that makes sense. Emporis said that it was completed in 1930, hence my confusion.

It would have have been taken pre-September 1934, the date the Adam Beck Memorial was unveiled:

urbantoronto-1430-4138.jpg

Bank Interiors. The Bank of Toronto, King & Bay, c1913:

BookReaderImages.php

Imperial Trust, 13 – 17 Richmond West, c1909:

BookReaderImages.php

Royal Bank, Church & Court, c1917:

BookReaderImages.php

Bank of Montreal, Queen & Yonge, c1910:

BookReaderImages.php

Union Bank, 17 – 19 Wellington West, c1900:

v13n4plate4.gif

I'm wondering how intact the Bank of Toronto interior was in its final years--the fact that any final fixation on its fate (including its ultimate Guild Inn regurgitation) was so concentrated on its exterior says something about the primitive state of "heritage values" in the 1960s...

And around the corner, at the NW corner of Yonge and Melinda, a Christmas display outside the St. Charles Hotel, 1908:

f1244_it0487.jpg

Back