When Toronto had two baseball stadiums on the waterfront and no Island Airport

TwoStadiumsnoairport.jpg

And no Gardiner. Great shot, Goldie.

Few more of the Stadium:

f1231_it0602.jpg

f1244_it1163.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0855.jpg

Last edited:
The building on the river is North York General, ca. 2003.

Bingo! Sorta. It is North York General! But your photo might be c. 2003; mine sure isn't.

More to the point, the photo is the view taken from the Sheppard Avenue bridge over the Don, about 1966 or 1967. It was taken by a fellow who knew this view was about to change dramatically. If you were standing there today, you'd quickly be run over. Behind him, in this view, is the leg of Leslie Street running from Sheppard to a bit north of Steeles. Until 1968, Leslie had a jog at Sheppard. If you look closely through the trees at the upper right, you'll see the houses that used to line Leslie Street... what we call Old Leslie Street now.

This is how the same view looks today. :)

8154100d.png

If so then this may be one of the shacks in the original picture. River flow and the angle of the building point here.

No, that view looks the wrong way. That building's on the northwest side of Sheppard and Leslie. This view looks south from Sheppard's bridge over the Don, which was a little two-lane at the time. I do have a shot of that area you're indicating, though. I don't recall there being any buildings in it, but I'd have to check. I can't say for sure. I'll dig some of the others up for you guys, they're really sweet. :)

This is the orientation for the shot. The aerial view dates to 1947, of course, but not much changed about the road layout in this view till 1968.

4496276a.jpg

Last edited:
No, that view looks the wrong way. That building's on the northwest side of Sheppard and Leslie. This view looks south from Sheppard's bridge over the Don, which was a little two-lane at the time. I do have a shot of that area you're indicating, though. I don't recall there being any buildings in it, but I'd have to check. I can't say for sure. I'll dig some of the others up for you guys, they're really sweet. :)

This is the orientation for the shot. The aerial view dates to 1947, of course, but not much changed about the road layout in this view till 1968.

4496276a.jpg

I remember when they rebuilt this intersection. There was a bailey bridge that took Sheppard over the Don northwest of the current intersection - the road curved around quite a bit. I think the entrance to the park parking lot is the old temporary road and the bridge would have been at the top of the point of the arrow that shows where the photographer stood.

I think there was a little building there - I'd say in the same spot where the park building is now.

I remember when they rebuilt this intersection. There was a bailey bridge that took Sheppard over the Don northwest of the current intersection - the road curved around quite a bit.

I would have liked to have seen that. I've looked around for years for shots of it under construction, aside from the aerial plates the city has for the period. But I was blown away and felt privileged to find the few shots of I have of the area just before it was rebuilt. About the only thing I haven't been able to find yet is a view westward from the bridge up the hill toward what's now Old Leslie... having only seen it as it is now, it's hard for me to imagine it, say, without the bridges.

The old Armoury / Drill Shed at St. Lawrence Market, 1876, Smith & Gemmell, Architects.

From Landmarks of Toronto, Vol. 3, 1898:

BookReaderImages.php

From Illustrated Toronto: Past and Present, 1877:

BookReaderImages.php

Hi, guys... I mentioned I had other shots to go along with the "moody" view of the Don from Sheppard. The weather's poor and it's too cold so I just cheated and cribbed the modern shots from GoogleMaps. :) The first two shots aren't ones I could do this with because they're sufficiently off-road it just wasn't possible. Most of the others are close... within a few yards of the originals, though a few are lower than the original views simply because Sheppard was dug off its hill in '67-68 for the underpasses at that location.

So here we go. This first view was taken in what's now the little open parkette on the northeast corner of Sheppard and Leslie beside the townhouses on Cheryl Shepway. In 1967, Leslie Street ended at Sheppard here. To go south, say, to the 401 or York Mills, you had to turn right, go up the hill, and then take a left at what's now Old Leslie Street.

8e75358f.jpg

This view is, I think, roughly the view Mattelderca thought was in the original shot I posted. I checked, and in the shots here and the aerials, the little washroom building we have there today didn't exist in 1967. There was a large building on the site, some kind of business, with a parking lot. It was torn down at that time to make way for the detour that crossed the Don on the Bailey bridge north of the current bridge. Here's what that looked like back then (the building was, as you would probably guess, behind the photographer). What you're seeing here a view looking southeast to the two-lane Sheppard Ave. bridge over the Don, and at the left, the end of Leslie Street, coming down from Finch.

1059aded.jpg

The previous two shots, and the next few, were taken by a photographer named Tom Johnson. Tom, if you're out there, I'm grateful to you for saving for me views I could never have seen with my own eyes.

For the sake of completeness, here's the view of what is now the southside continuation of Leslie Street, from the bridge over the Don.

fa81a763.jpg

Below is a view looking south down Leslie Street to where it used to T-junction with Sheppard at the Don.

a00a47fc.jpg

Below is a shot looking the other way... north, up what's now Leslie, from just west of North York General today.

1a10fa4b.jpg

Moving on, these are shots taken for, I think, the city, on the preparation for the Leslie Street relocation effort. Don't know the name of the photographer.

Here's a view looking west along Sheppard at the site of the medical centre on the south side.

7e1e0067.jpg

Another view from just a few yards east, from the vicinity of the creek between Shaughnessy and Leslie, showing what was once someone's impressive driveway on the north side, as well as a sign announcing the Leslie Street relocation effort about to begin.

dabbfd93.jpg

Last edited:
Up the hill, these are views around the old westerly intersection of Leslie and Sheppard, which was also a T-junction for Leslie. This part of Leslie is today Old Leslie street. Back then, it was how you got to the 401, and points south.

Here's a look south down (Old) Leslie from Sheppard.

e38ec88a.jpg

Here's a view looking west along Sheppard from the same location.

0774de68.jpg

Here are three views looking the other way, north across Sheppard from (Old) Leslie. At the time, Welsh Lumber was across the street. Today it the road continues into a commercial area.

Looking northwest...

28fd09e0.jpg

North...

623cac3a.jpg

And northeast...

e1b1ee12.jpg

On the southeast corner of this intersection of Leslie and Sheppard, there was, for around a decade, a shopping plaza, called Oriole Plaza. Below is a view from its parking lot on Sheppard, just a bit above the Don River bridge.

93062a68.jpg

And this is the view of its back lot delivery area, just off (Old) Leslie.

ac8f428e.jpg

On the north side of the intersection, this is a view from the Welsh Lumber lot, looking west along Sheppard.

a73b3ca4.jpg

And finally, here's a view of the level crossing on Sheppard just a bit west of (Old) Leslie Street. This view faces east. The "after" view is, of course, necessarily several yards lower than the "before" view, but whattayahgonnado.

7917a3ab.jpg

Up the hill, these are views around the old westerly intersection of Leslie and Sheppard, which was also a T-junction for Leslie. This part of Leslie is today Old Leslie street. Back then, it was how you got to the 401, and points south.

Here's a look south down (Old) Leslie from Sheppard.

e38ec88a.jpg

Here's a view looking west along Sheppard from the same location.

0774de68.jpg

Here are three views looking the other way, north across Sheppard from (Old) Leslie. At the time, Welsh Lumber was across the street. Today it the road continues into a commercial area.

Looking northwest...

28fd09e0.jpg

North...

623cac3a.jpg

And northeast...

e1b1ee12.jpg

On the southeast corner of this intersection of Leslie and Sheppard, there was, for around a decade, a shopping plaza, called Oriole Plaza. Below is a view from its parking lot on Sheppard, just a bit above the Don River bridge.

93062a68.jpg

And this is the view of its back lot delivery area, just off (Old) Leslie.

ac8f428e.jpg

On the north side of the intersection, this is a view from the Welsh Lumber lot, looking west along Sheppard.

a73b3ca4.jpg

And finally, here's a view of the level crossing on Sheppard just a bit west of (Old) Leslie Street. This view faces east. The "after" view is, of course, necessarily several yards lower than the "before" view, but whattayahgonnado.

7917a3ab.jpg

Excellent tour of the area Lone. La Paloma was all I remember. These were all from 1967? Major change to this intersection.

Excellent tour of the area Lone. La Paloma was all I remember. These were all from 1967? Major change to this intersection.

I know the ones with the slates are definitely May, 1967 because they say so. :) Tom Johnson's stuff I'm estimating to be March, 1967, because it's a spring thaw before the leaves appear, and because the NYGH is nearly completed, and one of my high school buddies was born there in the summer of 1968.

The previous two shots, and the next few, were taken by a photographer named Tom Johnson. Tom, if you're out there, I'm grateful to you for saving for me views I could never have seen with my own eyes.
...Another view from just a few yards east, from the vicinity of the creek between Shaughnessy and Leslie, showing what was once someone's impressive driveway on the north side, as well as a sign announcing the Leslie Street relocation effort about to begin.

dabbfd93.jpg

That impressive driveway was cut into the side of the hill and went up to a little white clapboard(?) house that I believe was the caretaker's house for that 'estate'. The main house is still there, I think, at the top of Buchan Court, and may be affiliated with NY General.

Back