News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It was because of the cyclists that we got paved roads (asphalt). The bad news was that the automobile then expropriated the paved roads for their "exclusive" use.

Maybe this file will help

Road surfaces in 1908

It's an interesting map to be sure. I've studied it in the past. But I'm curious why it took about a hundred years of settlement to start paving the roads given our climate. Toronto had grown into a city before the mid-19th century with an impressive built form but dirt roads. Major European cities had streets paved with stone pavers throughout the 19th century and earlier.

I am going to post this here. The Thomas Fisher Rare book library has digitized a lot of photos including a whole book by Octavius Thompson of photos taken from 1864 to 1868: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasfisherlibrary/albums/72157672729106183

A fine link, donoreo.........many thanks.
This building may have changed names........Mechanics' Institute in the caption ..........Music Hall on the building.......???
Music Hall? or Mechanics' Institute?.jpg

Attachments

• Music Hall? or Mechanics' Institute?.jpg
    Music Hall? or Mechanics' Institute?.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 879
It's an interesting map to be sure. I've studied it in the past. But I'm curious why it took about a hundred years of settlement to start paving the roads given our climate. Toronto had grown into a city before the mid-19th century with an impressive built form but dirt roads. Major European cities had streets paved with stone pavers throughout the 19th century and earlier.

It cost money to pave roads. Even today, we see cash-strapped towns unpaving their roads to cost down on costs. See link.

Would it have been multipurpose? (i.e. the "music hall" function accessible via Adelaide?)
I think the answer is given by Wiki where it states: " The Toronto Mechanics' Institute, originally named the York Mechanics' Institute, was an educational institution in 19th century Toronto that became the city's first public library. It was one of a series of mechanics' institutes that were set up around the world after becoming popular in Britain. Established in 1830, it was designed to provide technical and adult education.[1]

Paying members had access to lectures, courses, and a library. In 1853 the Institute erected a new permanent home at the corner of Church and Adelaide Streets, but it struggled to attract new paying members. In 1883 the Institute was thus transformed into a municipally-supported public reference library. The idea was promoted by alderman John Hallam, but it met considerable resistance in city council. No other city in Canada at this time had a completely free public library. Hallam brought the initiative to a public referendum, and the citizens of Toronto voted in its favour on January 1, 1883. The 5,000 book collection of the Mechanics' Institute became the first books of the Toronto Public Library and James Bain was selected as the first chief librarian."

The Wiki article is illustrated by an 1884 photo of the building where one can see Public Library on the Church Street side and Music hall on the south.
Central_Library_1884.jpg

I think it became a multi-purpose (civic) building!

Attachments

• Central_Library_1884.jpg
    Central_Library_1884.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 554
It should be noted that this is a "composite" photo, typical of that era.
Certainly a masterful example of photographic art during the early years.
I obtained this info from Bob Lansdale, editor of the journal, Photographic Canadiana (PHSC.ca):
"The individuals or small groups were photographed separately in the studio then the cutouts were pasted on a master painted background.
Then copied and prints made to ordered size. Customers could order from the original negatives as well.
Quite the social prestige thing to be included and in a good position to be seen
Of course this was the only way to achieve this ball room scene.... so slow were the film speeds."

PROTESTANT ORPHANS' HOME BALL.jpg

Attachments

• PROTESTANT ORPHANS' HOME BALL.jpg
    PROTESTANT ORPHANS' HOME BALL.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
It should be noted that this is a "composite" photo, typical of that era.
Incredible! I was aware of the mechanics of Photomontage, it being a lesson taught in Photo-Arts back in the day, but I had no idea of the commercial applications such as this...to which I answer myself: "Of course they would!"

This is now a case of wondering not where the pic was taken, but "where have I seen this kind of montage before?" Of course, really old books from over a century ago. The type your pored over as a youngster, wondering why the pics just 'didn't look quite convincing'.

lol...and of course: "Where is Lord-Viscount Waldo?" Just as Sergeant Pepper was recorded on a four-track master from many layered-up tracks 'bounced' onto the final master, so were these pics. The differing resolution gives it away as to what was layered in last, on both Sgt Pepper and this pic.

I'm going to be staring at this one for some time...

P.S: I'm noticing some 'panes' that must have been delineated by sections added in/over-top of earlier developments. As to whether that would be done with negs or prints is a good question. Two are apparent in the right side of the pic, follow down the lines described from the panel and archway on the rear wall.

Now I'm trapped in the pic, I've got to find out more as to how these were assembled, and how many 'generations' are typical in this type of collage (Print of a print, etc)

I also wonder if a 'pencil touch-up' was used between generations, quite common for the day. (Again, whether that's done on the neg or the print is a good question)

Wow...

Last edited:
What's also interesting is that if you look closely at my original posting, there are small numbers on various people, obviously related to an index of notables that accompanied the the photo. A precursor to the Society page we still enjoy every weekend, when checking out the parties we missed.

Back