News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Hey, my father grew up on Grange Avenue, west of Spadina. I remember him once driving there with me to show me the house. Not only was the house gone, but the street as well......

A photo essay In "Construction" Magazine (April 1914) on Office and Loft Buildings (some of which are still with us):

constructionjour07macduoft_0157.jpg

constructionjour07macduoft_0156.jpg

constructionjour07macduoft_0159.jpg

constructionjour07macduoft_0158.jpg

constructionjour07macduoft_0160.jpg

constructionjour07macduoft_0161.jpg

constructionjour07macduoft_0163.jpg

constructionjour07macduoft_0162.jpg

Last edited:
I was born in Wellesley Hospital on July 15, 1962. It's gone.

On the bright side, it has been replaced by a fabulous new facility so all is not lost. I can walk by that location and feel good about what I see.

290.jpg

A humble advertisement, but I do love the phone number for Aikenhead Hardware. Makes me wonder who had numbers 1 through 5.

v6n1pxv.gif

Am I correct in my thinking that the Weigh House was for the measurement of hay?

(The Hay Market was within that block on Front Street.)

Regards,
J T

Am I correct in my thinking that the Weigh House was for the measurement of hay?Regards,
J T

Public weighhouses or scales were quite common and I guess that it was used for anything that the City or citizens wanted to weigh or that was sold/bought by (large) weight. Hay, snow, turnips? There's a short piece on them at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weigh_house

How long would the weigh house have stood, I wonder (would it have gone w/the removal of the arch btw/the markets?)

I believe that the arch was taken during the early/mid 50's; the weigh house late 60s, early 70s.

Regards,
J T

And a Merry Christmas to all!

The James family (where's Dad? Taking the picture, of course):

james1.jpg

james2.jpg

Christmas pageants, AGO, 1930's:

christmas1.jpg

christmas2.jpg

christmas3.jpg

christmas4.jpg

christmas5.jpg