News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yes, like Lunatic Asylum, not very PC...

Snow:

s0071_it8403.jpg

s0071_it8405.jpg

s0071_it7327.jpg

Snow on Jarvis

Didn't this building become the CBC radio/TV centre mid-century?

Attachments

• CBC.jpg
    CBC.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 343
"Didn't this building become the CBC radio/TV centre mid-century?" QUOTE Goldie.

Yes SIR!

AKA Havergal Ladies' College.

350/56 Jarvis Street.

Regards,
J T

Let's think of warmer days to come and warm days past. Darling children excited by a street flusher - in the years between 1945 and 1952 - the date range according to the Toronto Archival photo notes. This is the corner of Bayview and Airdrie - I recognized the buildings, still extant.

StreetCleaningDepartmentflushersca4552.jpg

s0372_ss0100_it0611.jpg

I don't ever remember the water being white!

Was this due to "aeration", or the addition of a chemical(s)?

Regards,
J T

Winter Activity

It's certainly time for some winter sports:

IceBoatRace1911.jpg

Attachments

• Ice Boat Race 1911.jpg
    Ice Boat Race 1911.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
From Arcade to Eaton's

The Arcade Building:

arcadedemo.jpg

Thanks for the memories.
As a child I was always fascinated by the Magic Shop in the Arcade.
The story of John Giordmain, once Toronto's most popular magician, prrovides a link from Arcade to the T. Eaton empire.

He bought many of his props and gimmicks from The Novelty Shop in the old Yonge Street Arcade, and when he left Swift's he went to work in that shop, demonstrating and selling tricks and novelties. He drew such large crowds outside the shop when he put on noon-hour demonstrations in the front window that the police on the beat had to hold a path open through the throngs for passers-by.
After a year and a half of working in the Arcade Novelty Shop, Mr. Giordmaine worked for 30 years in the toy department of the T. Eaton Co. Ltd. main store.

For those interested, there's plenty more about this little magician on-line.

Attachments

• John Giordmaine.jpg
    John Giordmaine.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 248
In the late 1940's I worked (was more an office boy/gopher) one summer for an advertising / commercial art firm on the 3rd floor of a building on the East side of Yonge just North of the Arcade. I was probably about 12 and absolutely fascinated with the whole thing but especially the Arcade and the magic shop. I loved riding the Peter Witt trailers with the old curmudgeon in the centre of the car (think Barry Fitzgerald) calling out the stops like Aaaaaaalexaander.

Back