News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think this might be 1861 when the closed and open horse cars began running in Toronto. The street directory for 1861 shows J.H. Rogers hatter and furrier on the corner and McCrossen hatter and furrier next door at 111. But 1861 is the year my great-great-grandfather moved his business from 111 King E to 86 Yonge St. (Frederick Clarke, boots, shoes and trunks).

It would have to be after 1887-88, the year that the arched-window Army Navy store had its facade modified by Langley & Burke.

A 1925 aerial of the city before the appearance of the first three tall towers: Royal York Hotel, Canada Life Building and Bank of Commerce.

Toronto aerial 1925 TPL.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto aerial 1925 TPL.jpg
    Toronto aerial 1925 TPL.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 835
Threadneedle Street (map 1857)........A wonderful name!
Will someone provide a photo of the remnants of this 160-year-old pathway?

Threadneedle St., Toronto 1857.jpg

Attachments

• Threadneedle St., Toronto 1857.jpg
    Threadneedle St., Toronto 1857.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 640
Threadneedle Street (map 1857)........A wonderful name!
Will someone provide a photo of the remnants of this 160-year-old pathway?
Well! Studying the map you provide, and even allowing for scaling inaccuracies, the best *probable* remnant I can find is Piper Street.

"Threadneedle Street" is of course synonymous with the "Old Lady of...". The Bank of England, whose governor is our ex BoC governor. Anyone with a background in economics, let alone politics is galvanized with the mention of "Threadneedle Street"...so I Googled for Toronto's example, Very little shows.

Any info anyone comes up with most appreciated.

Btw: In the lower right corner of Goldie's previous post...there's what appears to be a trestle like structure along that section of the waterfront. Any ideas as to what it is, and the function? The sediment wash from what was ostensibly the Don (one of the estuary overflows) might offer a clue.

I've just been searching on Google, no good hits yet for 1925, but did trip across this, might be a goldmine for some of you savvy historical shutterbugs:

http://www.distilleryheritage.com/PDFs/report4/part1.pdf

Last edited:
Threadneedle Street is probably under the Royal York Hotel though may be in same place as Heenan Place and Piper Street. Note that University Avenue did not then exist and there is an unnamed (private) lane on west side of University that MAY be a continuation of Heenan Place over to Simcoe..
thread.JPG

The original Threadneedle Strteet is in London "Threadneedle Street is a street in the City of London, England between Bishopsgate at its northeast end and Bank junction in the southwest. It is one of nine streets that converge at Bank." see Wikipedia

Attachments

• thread.JPG
    thread.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 600
Barn raising, farm of Joseph Bales, Lansing, North York Township c.1910.
View attachment 131189
There’s another photo from the barn raising in the book Pioneering in North York by Patricia Hart. The Bales farm was on the south-east corner of Sheppard and Yonge. TPL has a photo (Clarence Bales Farm) showing the abandoned Bales farmhouse in 1955, shortly before it was demolished for a shopping centre (featuring Steinberg’s).

when did they demolish that building with the columns??? I do remember them as a kid passing by that intersection going down to broadview and gerrard...............
And...where did the tram tracks continuing west go?

Just to the the west (the far side of the bank pillars) was of course the (once named 'Winchester Extension' (?) and 'Don Mills Road'). Any road map of that area for that era showing trams most appreciated if anyone has any.

Perhaps an easier challenge: The dark foreboding sky...is it indeed that, or discoloration of the print (spilled liquid, humidity, heat?) The mark appears down the left hand side also but not as extensive.

Shades of Wizard of Oz.

The dark foreboding sky

I believe that "dark sky" is the result of damage to the photo.
And I wonder if the Bank of Nova Scotia building may still exist behind a new storefront.

Winchester Dr. at Danforth 1919
Winchester Dr. at Danforth 1919.jpg

former Winchester Dr. 2010.jpg

Attachments

• Winchester Dr. at Danforth 1919.jpg
    Winchester Dr. at Danforth 1919.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 927
  • former Winchester Dr. 2010.jpg
    former Winchester Dr. 2010.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 842
Last edited:

Back