News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Lets bring that in-thread:

1651408461383.png

Direct Source is the tweet noted above - no further credit provided.

Glover Harrison's China Hall, which opened at 49 King St E in 1866.

Not entirely lost... but abandoned. A stunning drone video posted in by nite in an "Abandoned Buildings" thread over at SSP.

What to do with this 90 year old gem?? Answers: ______________ ;)

Text:
“Whitney Block Tower has been closed since the 60`s. Built in 1932 it was closed due to fire regulations, 1 hand crank elevator and 1 stairwell was its demise. It was said to be unbearably hot during the summer, large blocks of ice were taken to the upper floors in an attempt to cool the building. As of many old buildings, it is said to be haunted.”

ORGANIZED CoNfUsioN Drones

This from 1903 Goad MAY help
View attachment 399413
Thanks!

Nothing yet, as it seems the building I'm looking for was built shortly after 1930 on a York/Harbour intersection that didn't exist at that point. Would theoretically be in Parcel 14.

However, I did find something else in my travels that really interests me. A 1990s design charrette for the waterfront showing what looks to be a canal running up York Street, past Union Station to an envisioned park. What interests me is that sometimes in my imaginations of what could be, I've actually thought it'd be cool if we had a mini Chicago-type waterway running up from the lake. Seems someone beat me to the idea many years ago. I can't find much additional information, as it's one of many ideas for the waterfront throughout the years no doubt.

s1465_fl0247_it0001.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, thank you both @adma and @gimbal. I wasn't familiar with it before, glad I know its name now. Found a close-up shot of the entrance, shame such a substantial building made it to 1990 but wasn't saved. Just the door and transom alone are beautiful.

142732.jpg

Edited to add another shot. Really a lovely, understated building. Would love to still have that down by the Harbour, complete with the old roof signage.

245942496_6292878680782063_1027731307717072920_n.jpg

Yes, thank you both @adma and @gimbal. I wasn't familiar with it before, glad I know its name now. Found a close-up shot of the entrance, shame such a substantial building made it to 1990 but wasn't saved. Just the door and transom alone are beautiful.

View attachment 399724

Edited to add another shot. Really a lovely, understated building. Would love to still have that down by the Harbour, complete with the old roof signage.

View attachment 399726
What's there now?

Back