News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Trinity Sq. 1875
Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Trinity Sq. 1875.jpg

Is Hanlon's Point Stadium where Babe Ruth hit his first professional home run ?
It's been reported that the Babe played at Hanlan's Point, but I'm not sure of the accuracy of the claim, "his first professional home run."
That story also suggests that the ball was hit into the Lake and may still be there for treasure-seekers to find.

Slum housing - northeast corner of Terauley (now Bay St) and Louisa St. (T. Eaton Co. factory complex), 1916 View attachment 435094

Slum house, The Ward, c.1911
View attachment 435095

Slum courtyard. 142 Agnes Street, 1913
View attachment 435096
The City has a web page covering the topic of slum housing and mentions that in this same general time period, some 1600 dwellings were demolished due to the very poor comditions of the housing. It does not really speak to any programs of replacement.

The City has a web page covering the topic of slum housing and mentions that in this same general time period, some 1600 dwellings were demolished due to the very poor comditions of the housing. It does not really speak to any programs of replacement.
The homes in the above photos were replaced by Toronto's "new" City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square.
That area now contains no housing, only businesses and government buildings.

My extended family lived around Greenwood and Gerrard in the 40's, 50's and 60's. The Riverdale zoo and High Park and Cherry Beach were our getaways. They say that odours are powerful in memory - I can still smell the 'fragrance' of Riverdale, and those monkeys.
The High Park Zoo is still there. Come with a stuffy nose.

Back