News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Southbound lanes of the Dufferin Street Bridge could be closed for up to two months for repairs, the city says.

In a news release Wednesday, the city said that damage was discovered on a portion of the bridge south of Springhurst Avenue.

Southbound traffic will be diverted onto Springhurst to "ensure public safety and to facilitate the necessary repair work," according to the release.

The northbound lane and pedestrian sidewalk still stay open.

The city said it will be adjusting traffic signals in the area during the construction and that paid duty police officers could be sent to help manage traffic if necessary.

Any drivers who would normally rely on the southbound lanes of the bridge are advised to leave extra time for trips, especially with a host of other road closures already in place ahead of the Honda Indy Toronto this weekend.

Ontario place and exhibition station come from a different time when there were more parking lots than housing units in Toronto. I think people are opposed to having exhibition place redeveloped because of the fair that happens every year, like no one uses it except for those 3 weeks in August.

Ontario place is just segregated entirely right now driving is the only way to get to it, Until the new redevelopment comes through, and the rumored people mover from the OL station, i dont think they can touch those parking lots

Oh hey look it seems like this is finally gaining popularity

I said it before Ill say it again,

The big parking garage at Ontario Place is only needed because no one wants to touch the ex. We dont need all those parking lots for only 3 weeks a year. lets do something with this place
trade it with ford and tell him to develop it as a TOD or something as noted in the article.

Oh hey look it seems like this is finally gaining popularity

I said it before Ill say it again,

The big parking garage at Ontario Place is only needed because no one wants to touch the ex. We dont need all those parking lots for only 3 weeks a year. lets do something with this place
trade it with ford and tell him to develop it as a TOD or something as noted in the article.
Sure, go ahead, eliminate what little “culture” we have in the city and replace it with more soulless buildings.

Ironically, these newer developments, such as Liberty Village or CityPlace have the same kind of problem as suburbia. You may have seen my post on Reddit (with the same username) a few weeks back referring to these newer developments as “urban suburbia”

One of the criticisms of suburbia, is the lack of culture, most strip malls do not have many for example “mom and pops” which were traditionally seen all over the place downtown and in small towns.

That’s what always seems to happen when a new condo development is built, the mom and pops are replaced by the same kind of shops you see in a suburban strip mall. Sure, it’s more walkable but it still lacks the kind of culture suburbia does.

The CNE, like it or lump it is a cultural event that Toronto has held since the late 1800s, I’ve heard generational stories about my great grandparents going there 80 or more years ago.

Reactions: T3G
Sure, go ahead, eliminate what little “culture” we have in the city and replace it with more soulless buildings.

Ironically, these newer developments, such as Liberty Village or CityPlace have the same kind of problem as suburbia. You may have seen my post on Reddit (with the same username) a few weeks back referring to these newer developments as “urban suburbia”

One of the criticisms of suburbia, is the lack of culture, most strip malls do not have many for example “mom and pops” which were traditionally seen all over the place downtown and in small towns.

That’s what always seems to happen when a new condo development is built, the mom and pops are replaced by the same kind of shops you see in a suburban strip mall. Sure, it’s more walkable but it still lacks the kind of culture suburbia does.

The CNE, like it or lump it is a cultural event that Toronto has held since the late 1800s, I’ve heard generational stories about my great grandparents going there 80 or more years ago.

Buddy read the article... He's not talking about cancelling the CNE. He's talking about using the space smarter so the other 50 weeks of the year the space is not going to waste.

I think it's implicit in the article, though never said expressly, that the Ex would have to move. You can't do much with the space if you need it all empty when the Ex rolls in every August.

Reactions: T3G

Culture Smulture. we will see if people want to pay $100 for a day at the cne when they pay 90% of their income towards rent.
We're in a housing crisis, we need more housing and empty parking lots are the best place to build them, especially around a brand new high capacity transit line
yes the lack of mom-and-pop retail is missing but it's not an overly complicated problem, it's possible to fix it.
The well doesn't exactly have mom-and-pop but it's going to be eaton center/yorkdale 2.0 and people are very excited for it.

I'd actually argue against you, Cityplace does in fact have the mom-and-pop culture. Sure there's too many real estate agents, but regulation can fix this

Culture Smulture. we will see if people want to pay $100 for a day at the cne when they pay 90% of their income towards rent.
We're in a housing crisis, we need more housing and empty parking lots are the best place to build them, especially around a brand new high capacity transit line
yes the lack of mom-and-pop retail is missing but it's not an overly complicated problem, it's possible to fix it.
The well doesn't exactly have mom-and-pop but it's going to be eaton center/yorkdale 2.0 and people are very excited for it.

I'd actually argue against you, Cityplace does in fact have the mom-and-pop culture. Sure there's too many real estate agents, but regulation can fix this
Why are we in this housing crisis? When you add more people in the metaphorical game of musical chairs but not any more chairs what do you expect to happen? There will be a lot more losers, and who is in control of adding people to the game.

The answer is simple and most likely it would get you banned around these parts. But to stop adding more people to the game and get more chairs added.

The dire situation is created entirely on the faults of government and I’m willing to bet you voted for it.

Why are we in this housing crisis? When you add more people in the metaphorical game of musical chairs but not any more chairs what do you expect to happen? There will be a lot more losers, and who is in control of adding people to the game.

The answer is simple and most likely it would get you banned around these parts. But to stop adding more people to the game and get more chairs added.

The dire situation is created entirely on the faults of government and I’m willing to bet you voted for it.
I know the direction you're looking at and that's fine, an increase in population is notable but it *shouldn't* be an issue if we just built housing. Like it or not our Canadian born population is aging we need immigrants to sustain the country.

Here's another thing that could get you banned around these parts.... *unrestricted zoning* you wanna build a 5-storey building on your property, go right ahead. no approvals necessary.

Hello. That piece is mine. I’m not suggesting that the Ex should move. However:

4E56A322-13AE-4A60-AB0B-18C4BFD7D0E9.jpeg
BA9B1FF6-C150-4896-9F35-1E59F9482EB3.jpeg
DF5A97A8-A8AA-43C4-B65E-5092D4E818D4.jpeg

Attachments

• B4E94B3E-D2BD-49BB-979A-BE39B06EEB70.jpeg
    B4E94B3E-D2BD-49BB-979A-BE39B06EEB70.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 22
Hello. That piece is mine. I’m not suggesting that the Ex should move. However:

View attachment 503117View attachment 503118View attachment 503120
While it seems you, Alex, want to keep the CNE going, I’m just wondering, if this becomes a site with housing, how can the CNE still run?

As the residents in these buildings will be very unhappy with that event occurring. Case in point, look how much the condo owners in Vaughan complain about the noise from roller coasters from Wonderland (knowing full well they bought a condo next to it)

General Canada on the other hand seems to have the attitude of the CNE be damned.

Board of Governors of Exhibition Place meeting on Friday, among other things, approved a one year agreement for 2024 with promoters of the IndyCar race. Previous contract renewals going back to at least 2009 were for three year terms. I don't see an explanation for that. I suppose the World Cup at the stadium in 2026 could get in the way, but there was no problem in 2015 when the race was held in June instead of July because of the Pan-Am games.

Last edited:
Board of Governors of Exhibition Place meeting on Friday, among other things, approved a one year agreement for 2024 with promoters of the IndyCar race. Previous contract renewals going back to at least 2009 were for three year terms. I don't see an explanation for that. I suppose the World Cup at the stadium in 2026 could get in the way, but there was no problem in 2015 when the race was held in June instead of July because of the Pan-Am games.

FIFA likely want exclusivity to prevent issues. Two events at the same time could cause issues.

Simply put, the World Cup is a global event and the Indy isn't. They won't do anything to jeopardize the world cup even if that means canceling the indy in 2026.

Two events at the same time could cause issues... They won't do anything to jeopardize the world cup even if that means canceling the indy in 2026.
There was a FIFA U20 World Cup match at the stadium on 8 July 2007 in the evening following the race earlier in the afternoon. There had initially also been an afternoon game scheduled that had to be moved to Montreal. Somehow someone at Exhibition Place had apparently forgotten the race was already scheduled for that weekend, or not realized that the track surrounded the stadium and people would be unable to get into it while the race was happening. 🤣
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/excitement-builds-for-fifa-under-20-world-cup/article1071469/
... CSA officials were forced to back-track on plans for a previously scheduled July 8 double header at BMO Field due to a conflict with the Toronto Grand Prix and its race course which encircles the new soccer stadium.
Linford, told the Globe and Mail on Saturday that moving the first game of the double header between Portugal and Gambia to Olympic Stadium in Montreal was an unavoidable solution because of a conflict in start times with the auto race...
But I doubt anyone is suggesting that situation for 2026. The World Cup final will likely be on 19 July 2026 somewhere in the U.S., with Toronto presumably having only group stage matches that will have been finished at least two weeks before then, maybe three weeks since the knockout stage will now start with 32 teams. The race could probably happen in early June or late July without causing a problem.

Last edited:
I see that the Indy car races are back for 2024. I have mixed opinions about this. One, I haven”t been in years, and two, although I appreciated the ease of getting there (GO), I never thought it was that great a race or a race facility. And then three, the Toronto summer calendar is getting so jam packed, add in the mega and more minor construction projects, and this is an event that could be seemingly be moved.

What we need is a purpose built track(s) for a variety of races F1, Indy Car, Stock, Sports etc And it should incorporate and encourage organized and safe amateur racing - helping to divert drivers from exhibiting their skills on the 400 series highways.

And where? The existing tracks are too far away (Mosport and Shannonville for instance) Once it could have been Downsview and that would have been very cool, there was once a proposal for a track at the corners of Hwy’s 5 & 6 (Freeman's Corners) and it that is long dead. Since we seem to be in the business of repurposing malls these days….Vaughn Mills?

I see that the Indy car races are back for 2024. I have mixed opinions about this. One, I haven”t been in years, and two, although I appreciated the ease of getting there (GO), I never thought it was that great a race or a race facility. And then three, the Toronto summer calendar is getting so jam packed, add in the mega and more minor construction projects, and this is an event that could be seemingly be moved.

What we need is a purpose built track(s) for a variety of races F1, Indy Car, Stock, Sports etc And it should incorporate and encourage organized and safe amateur racing - helping to divert drivers from exhibiting their skills on the 400 series highways.

And where? The existing tracks are too far away (Mosport and Shannonville for instance) Once it could have been Downsview and that would have been very cool, there was once a proposal for a track at the corners of Hwy’s 5 & 6 (Freeman's Corners) and it that is long dead. Since we seem to be in the business of repurposing malls these days….Vaughn Mills?

I love the Vaughan Mills reference! No need to change a thing......just take the doors off each end and it can be an indoor/outdoor course!

Back