News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm pro road tolls, but I think there are issues surrounding only taxing the Toronto-owned highways, as I worry that those costs, plus Toronto's still-too-high commercial tax rate, will keep businesses from setting up shop in the city.

I'm pro road tolls, but I think there are issues surrounding only taxing the Toronto-owned highways, as I worry that those costs, plus Toronto's still-too-high commercial tax rate, will keep businesses from setting up shop in the city.

Toronto should be able to toll the 401 within its borders and the 427 as well. Am I missing any?

There are "Places to Grow" which are more accessible by provincial highways which have cheaper land and could really use greater office developments. For those people who want better transit service in the boroughs this could be the way to drive up the commercial base in those areas to support it.

Toronto should be able to toll the 401 within its borders and the 427 as well. Am I missing any?

Well, I guess the province could grant that permission....how would it work...just tolling the roads on the way into Toronto or would you toll the roads on the way out too? Would people within Toronto using the 427 to get to, I don't know, the airport have their tolls given to Mississauga?

Tolls are an easy idea in principal and much harder in practice.....I think I even saw Mayor Miller on TV questioning the proposal to toll the DVP and the Gardiner because (in his words) "it would be a tax on Scarborough" he went on to explain that the majority of people using the DVP are not the evil 905ers but people from the north an northeast parts of Toronto itself.

Back