8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

jammer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why is there an extra cost to install a window AC in an apartment in which electricity is included in the rent?
I thought it might be increased electricity use but does an AC use more electricity than 4 fans on 24x7?
Why is a dehumidifier acceptable but an AC is not?
What about a portable AC?

I would like to hear the rationale behind this fee.

A quick Google search I did just now found a consensus that room air-conditioners use about 10 times the energy a portable fan does. Interestingly it also says that ceiling fans use less than half the energy of portable fans, so they are the most economical by far.

Air conditioners really do cost big energy dollars. There's a reason the utilities request they be shut off at peak times in the summer.

My building wanted to charge for installing a window A/C so I built my own low energy solution.

A fan on a slow setting blowing air out in one room and an open window in another allowing new air in keeps my previously boiling apartment cool and with a constant supply of fresh air. Sure, I can't accurately regulate the temp but it rarely gets too cold, even in the winter.

When the unit that serves my roommate's bedroom & living room broke down two summers ago they had no spare parts on hand to repair it (it ended up taking over two months to get it repaired) so the landlord offered dusty old window shakers for one or both rooms @ $50/month each. As heating/air conditioning/hydro is included in the rent I fought them on it and told them I'd take them to the Tribunal and they finally waived the fees (we went with a/c units in both rooms). Their explanation was that these units use an extraordinary amount of hydro, my response was keep spare parts for the built in units or get the corporate office to speed up their purchase orders so that portables aren't needed.
Bottom line I can see why landlords charge hydro for the extra consumption, especially for those large 10,000 or 12,000 BTU units. Landlords generally don't inventory what portable units are in your suite such as dehumidifiers/humidifiers, plasma TV's, dishwashers, PC's running 24/7 & other power suckers.

I've been running a window banger in my unit for five years without paying the monthly fee indicated in my lease. Just tell your landlord to suck it.

As Jonny5 mentioned the rational behind the fee is that a/c units do use a lot of energy and cost the building $$$. Therefore, the landlord feels they should be able to recoup that cost increase by charging you a fee.

Rent increases are set at 2.1% this year, less in 2011. However, this year hydro costs jumped 12% and there are forecasts of increases about 20% in future. Unless the tenant pays for their own hydro, landlords want to conserve even if the tenant does not.

Since A/C are such energy hogs, that is one reason to keep the temperature settings 1 or 2 degrees higher to save money. Just check on how many lights are left on in apartment buildings, tenants don't believe in conservation, if they don't pay.

Rent increases are set at 2.1% this year, less in 2011. However, this year hydro costs jumped 12% and there are forecasts of increases about 20% in future. Unless the tenant pays for their own hydro, landlords want to conserve even if the tenant does not.

Since A/C are such energy hogs, that is one reason to keep the temperature settings 1 or 2 degrees higher to save money. Just check on how many lights are left on in apartment buildings, tenants don't believe in conservation, if they don't pay.

I don't use even close to an average amount of electricity so I feel I should get a rebate for the winter months.
It was a mistake not getting an apartment where I pay me own electricity but should I be forced to move

I don't use even close to an average amount of electricity so I feel I should get a rebate for the winter months.
It was a mistake not getting an apartment where I pay me own electricity but should I be forced to move

Don't forget about vampire electronics, appliances and be aware that there are some sleazy hydro providers out there.

Don't forget about vampire electronics, appliances and be aware that there are some sleazy hydro providers out there.

I am aware of phantom load.
I do not get why electronics need a phantom load, I suspect most people wouldn't mind turning on the tv (and whatever else needs to be on) and just use the remote to change channels and control the volume.

I have to pay $200 each summer if I want to use an AC. My apartment is on the top floor and has big windows, so it gets unbearably hot if I don't have anything to cool it. It's the biggest downside to an otherwise very nice apartment.

Back