8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
(I am sure that this has a thread or has been mentioned here but I cannot find it)
FACTORY THEATRE ANNOUNCES CONSTRUCTION START ON PHASE 1 OF MAJOR RENOVATION TO MAKE THEATRE ACCESSIBLE
TORONTO

20120807FActoryRenderingByphilgoldsmith.jpg

Ron Struys, Chair of the Board of Directors of Factory Theatre, Nina Lee Aquino and Nigel Shawn Williams, Co-Artistic Directors, and Sara Meurling, Managing Director, are pleased to announce the start of construction on a major renovation to Factory Theatre’s Bathurst Street heritage facility.
Renovation began in June 2013, and will continue throughout the summer months. On completion, a significant new entry from the Factory Courtyard will welcome visitors to both of Factory’s theatre spaces, with a street-level box office, lobby and passenger elevator to the MainStage Theatre. This will eliminate the steep – and for some insurmountable – 27-step climb to the existing box office and MainStage and begin the important work of rendering Factory Theatre physically accessible.

Says Struys: “This light-filled, contemporary structure will solve Factory’s problems of accessibility and street level recognition. It will also ensure that the entire historic complex is consolidated visually as a theatre and entertainment venue, spotlighting Factory as a key landmark in this evolving downtown neighbourhood.â€

Aquino and Williams note: “The project continues to extend our ability to cultivate truly diverse audiences. This is key to strengthening Factory’s commitment to diversity in our audiences - whether we are speaking of diversity as ability, race, gender or any combination, the cultures and subcultures that make Canada the rich place that it is must always have a place in our theatres.â€

Adds Meurling: “An accessible facility has been long anticipated by Factory artists and staff. The project honours the architectural heritage of Factory’s Bathurst Street home, adding modern 21st century elements complimentary to the building’s historical aesthetic.â€
Major capital campaign supporters include: the Province of Ontario through the Community Capital Fund, administered by the Ontario Trillium Foundation, BMO Financial Group, with lead Accessibility Sponsor the TD Bank Group, local developers and property companies, including Allied Properties REIT and Section 37 funds from Harhay Developments in partnership with Carterra Private Equities.
Phase 2 of the renovation is scheduled take place during the summer of 2014. This will include creative and public space improvements to Factory’s 100-seat Studio Theatre, rendering it one of the best equipped small theatre spaces in downtown Toronto with a welcoming, fully accessible lobby space for patrons and guests.

Project design is by Stewart Adams of Toronto’s unit a architecture, building on a concept developed by heritage architect Phil Goldsmith. The Capital Campaign “Accessing the Future†Steering Committee is chaired by Ron Struys. “Factory Theatre is committed to making improvements that will communicate to Canadians that our theatre remains vibrant, accessible and flourishing,†says Struys, “Our donors have told us that they believe in Factory, in what it stands for as the long-established ‘home of the Canadian playwright’. They have entrusted us with the funds to continue that tradition. We are now reaching out to the larger community to ensure this iconic Canadian theatre endures, and that artists and audiences alike are well served into the 21st Century.â€

Additional work being undertaken on the site includes restoration of the Adelaide street heritage façade, repairing the 100-year-old stained glass windows and architecturally significant roofette. This restoration has been supported in part by the City of Toronto Heritage grants program.
A leading grantmaker in Canada, the Ontario Trillium Foundation strengthens the capacity of the voluntary sector through investments in community-based initiatives. An agency of the Government of Ontario, OTF builds healthy and vibrant communities.
In early July you will be able to follow the renovation progress at www.factorytheatre.ca.

http://www.factorytheatre.ca/files/3413/7245/3053/Factory_Theatre_News_-_Accessing_the_Future_released_June_28_2013.pdf

Photo taken 06 September 2013

IMG_5152_1_1-L.jpg

I think that is an old rendering proposed by the previous chair. They decided on the cheap version and basically building the glass box where you see the construction and that will be it. They are not moving part of the house closer to Bathurst as originally quoted etc...they have a rendering posted outside with the glass box only and the original windows restored etc...I will take a pic the next time I am by unless someone has it?

Last edited by a moderator:
A shame that the house won't be moved closer anymore. Though I can understand budget restraints on a project like this. Hopefully once the new addition is complete, they'll at least improve and maintain proper landscaping along Bathurst. At the moment, this corner property meets the street in such atrocious manner.

I can see this property being very attractive to developers and either provide The Factory Theatre with a new facility within the base of an entirely new structure or incorporate the existing theatre into a larger redevelopment. Either way it would provide a welcome cash infusion. Photos taken 25 October 2013.

image-L.jpg

image-L.jpg

image-L.jpg

The addition has no relation to the old architecture. It could harmonize with it through a minimalism approach, but it does not take this approach, emphasizing horizontal lines.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Looks like the Walmer Road entrance to Spadina.

The backstory to this is very interesting. Former Artistic Director was championing a much more significant retrofit of the space that would have cost around $15M. The board turfed former AD Ken Gass and decided only to perform the small addition at te front to make the theatre more accessible. The image at the top of the thread is closer to what Gass wanted - which was drawn up by a heritage architect. The actual product we're receiving is closer to the rendering currently on site, which was noted above, looks like a subway station.
More info here: http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...an-explainer-for-ken-gass-vs-factory-theatre/

This is a shame. They've built what essentially looks like a 'Mondrian inspired' cityplace condo vestibule and tacked it onto the side of this very charming little theatre.

What a lost opportunity here. It could have been a great amenity for the area, which is going through massive growth and change, and a welcomed outlet for Canadian theatre.
The ad-hoc lobby expansion, which I totally agree looks out of place and incredibly generic, is definitely not enough to serve the growing need of the Factory Theatre.
I feel for Ken Gass who help build this organization and clearly has a positive vision to only be squashed by an ultra-conservative board who seems to lack ambition.

Structure is fine. Wrong facade. A cable supported facade would have been the way to go.

Back