5.2K     0 

Jasonzed

Member Bio
Reaction score
from today
20110309170.jpg

20110309173.jpg

20110309177.jpg

Wow... I can't believe I am going to say this (I am all for saving the environment and don't own a car myself) But that family could use a minivan.

And I can see how the arched corner will look on L now.

Lets drag our kids through the pollution and danger of Yonge Street traffic! Somebody call Children's Aid please!

WOW, sometimes I wonder what goes through the minds of some parents! I grew up downtown and I would've never been allowed to bike up Yonge street in a million years!...I still wouldn't bike up that street today, there are much safer alternatives.

You guys are too uptight on the bike train issue. Streets are for people. The revolution will not be motorized.

I think there is a difference between idealism and reality. The fact is those people were putting their lives at risk no matter if they deserve the right of way... the fact that they appear to be all tied together just makes it that much more dangerous.

The scene probably looks more dangerous than it was in person. Traffic on Yonge often moves slowly. They could have also taken the lane. The lead bike is a two person bike, for increased stability. There are definitely dangers with that setup, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The revolution isn't about realism, because the point is to change the present reality.

You guys are too uptight on the bike train issue. Streets are for people. The revolution will not be motorized.

No, roads are for traffic. Sidewalks are for people. Bike lanes and paths are for bikes. Anything else is inherently dangerous, no matter what your point of view... and to risk this for yourself is your choice but to blindly lead your children through it in a 'train' is utterly indefensible. Idiots!

The revolution isn't about realism, because the point is to change the present reality.

absolutely, we need to change our current reality, but I wouldn't do that on the backs of our children and put them at risk in the meantime. This is an adult fight, and there are still plenty of irresponsible drivers out there who have no regard or respect for pedestrians or cyclists on the roadways. I see it all the time, both when I drive or walk around downtown.

Last edited:
Those pictures were great!! No kids were hurt in the "bike train" adventure from what I did NOT read in the papers, lol. Great to see more bikes on the road and with kids. Better than inside watching TV, eating junk and getting fat.

WOW, sometimes I wonder what goes through the minds of some parents! I grew up downtown and I would've never been allowed to bike up Yonge street in a million years!...I still wouldn't bike up that street today, there are much safer alternatives.

What are the safer alternatives in your opinion?

Yonge St has a bike lane now which suddenly ends at the Esplanade due to the L Tower hoarding. You can turn right on to Esplanade, which is a better alternative but still not really that safe.

If you go west you have Bay and York, go east and you have Jarvis. All crappy choices for crossing the rail corridor and the Gardiner.

Back