News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

As long as bikes are ridden like vehicles with some common sense and courtesy, they are traffic. I've rode up Yonge before, and I manage to keep pace with traffic.

It should also be noted that riding on the sidewalk is technically illegal and should be avoided whenever possible, although there are exceptions such as highway overpasses that are just unavoidable.

As long as bikes are ridden like vehicles with some common sense
And it shows a profound lack of common sense to ride with small children in heavy traffic with distracted drivers in a construction zone with narrow lanes. Sometimes even if something is legal, it is still stupid to do. The "common sense" thing for this family to have done would have been to dismount and take that pedestrian walkway right next to them.

As long as bikes are ridden like vehicles with some common sense and courtesy, they are traffic. I've rode up Yonge before, and I manage to keep pace with traffic.

It should also be noted that riding on the sidewalk is technically illegal and should be avoided whenever possible, although there are exceptions such as highway overpasses that are just unavoidable.

For drivers it's easier to spot and safer when cyclists keep up pace with traffic and not ride at a snails pace, especially if there is a gap in the traffic, someone speeding down Yonge might not spot the slow moving train of children until it's too late. There is no shortage of stupid parents out there.

Subjecting one's children to bike-riding on busy downtown streets is idiotic, but saying that bikes should be restricted to bike lanes and paths is even more idiotic.

Back