News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I like the idea of a purpose built capital district at the Saskatchewan Forks, though it would be the coldest capital city on Earth on average.

Having a capital in that location could have great implications for greater connections to and settlement of the north, and would save us from the inevitable fight between Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Regina. Also, a third significant city for Saskatchewan would be pretty cool. I'd also see this hypothetical prairie country as a federation, with eventually 6 provinces (Alberta, Assiniboia, Athabasca, Denendeh, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan). Alberta and Saskatchewan would each be split in two with Alberta being the southern 2/5, Athabasca being the northern 3/5, and Assiniboia being the southern 1/4, and Saskatchewan being the northern 3/4. Manitoba would maintain its territorial integrity due to its centralized, highly concentrated southern population and sparse north, while the Northwest Territories would be granted province status and 3 seats in federal parliament for agreeing to join confederation as the province of Denendeh (similar to the special agreement given to PEI). Depending on the name of the country, I think the name of the capital city should be romanticized (or whatever the term is) so like is the country was Sipiasky, then the capital would be Sipiaskapolis, but another really good alternative for both the country name and the capital name is Omaka (big river in Cree).

Splitting the provinces would be pretty harmful, unless the provinces had far less jurisdictions than our current ones. A province without a big teaching hospital or university would have to be very different than how our current provinces operate. Also, splitting Alberta's oil industry would wreck southern Alberta's provincial budget, and split the corporate base from the regulatory base.

If you changed jurisdictions, and had natural resources, universities/colleges and health be solely federal jurisdiction, that could work. It would still cause havoc though.

I think the capital should be Calgary ? My choice might be a bit biased.

I think you could justify the creation of a "province" of this new "country" centred around calgary and encompassing southern alberta/ saskatchewan to swiftcurrent. But I doubt that the edmontonians or winnipeggers would willingly submit to a calgary centric model :p

Splitting the provinces would be pretty harmful, unless the provinces had far less jurisdictions than our current ones. A province without a big teaching hospital or university would have to be very different than how our current provinces operate. Also, splitting Alberta's oil industry would wreck southern Alberta's provincial budget, and split the corporate base from the regulatory base.

If you changed jurisdictions, and had natural resources, universities/colleges and health be solely federal jurisdiction, that could work. It would still cause havoc though.

I actually think you could structure it well- exactly as you said, with low barriers for trade and 0 taxation between the "provinces" but allow said "provinces" far more regional control on social spending etc.

Back