News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Dub's was an arena proposal (Omniplex) and built mainly above ground. I am proposing a football/soccer stadium concept (much, much larger footprint) and built mostly below grade. Hence the three-city-block scale. Also part of the development could be subsidized by developing other mixed use towers on the site. I do see the possibility of some iconic architecture that would be another huge plus for Edmonton. It would be great to see what skilled designers -- Douglas Cardinal, for example -- could do with this. And Daryl Katz & Co. could extend their sports empire by attracting an MLS franchise and buying the CFL Elks (their price might be at bargain basement numbers just now).
Here are some of the plusses that I foresee:
1. Solidifying downtown as "the place to be" if you are a sports fan, causing all manner of adjacent development -- an influx of retail, hospitality, and -- yes -- even offices.
2. Up-zoning of the land south of 107th Avenue, bringing 107th itself into the realm of major business streets akin to Jasper Avenue and 124th Street.
3. Reinforcing LRT ridership by developing a renewed downtown focus.
4. Removing the "blight" of light industrial uses north of 105th Avenue.
5. Enabling, perhaps, the ascension of Edmonton into the world of major league Football/Soccer -- the MLS has similar sized (and smaller) markets with Soccer franchises... e.g Columbus, Ohio; San Jose, California; Austin, Texas; Cincinnati, Ohio; Kansas City, Missouri; Nashville, Tennessee; Portland Oregon; Charlotte, North Carolina; Salt Lake City, Utah; and Saint Louis, Missouri.
6. The possibility for Edmonton to cash in on more World-class sporting events in Track-and-Field, Commonwealth Games, Pan American Games, and maybe even Olympic Games.
7. Boosting the sagging image of the CFL
8. And, as the image of Edmonton is burnished as a sports-oriented City, an NBA franchise is not out of the realm of possibility, making Rogers do double-duty -- hockey and basketball.
9. Improving downtown's livability quotient.
10. Underscoring a new emphasis on quality architecture within the City.

Last edited:
Reactions: God

Back