News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Silence of the Squirrels

Starring: Walter (the pigeon) Pidgeon as "the Game Warden"

There are no squirrels in Amsterdam. There are giant parks with hundreds of mature trees and no squirrels or chipmunks. It's very, very weird. It's almost creepy - like something horrible has wiped out all of the squirrels and the locals are all trying to cover it up. "Squirrels? What squirrels? No, there were never any squirrels. There is no such thing as squirrels. If you know what's good for you you'll stop asking questions and forget all about squirrels. I must go now." It's like that.
Reminds me of my trip to Beijing in 2005. I'm standing there in Tiamamen Square and you'd expect birds and squirrels to be everywhere, as they'd be in any large public area in Canada, USA, Europe, etc. However there were not creatures at all.

In the autumn, I was walking through St James Park and heard a twig snap high up in a tree and turned in time to watch a squirrel fall at least 30 feet, hit the ground and bounce 3 feet in the air before landing again. He sat there for about 60 seconds before pulling himself together and bolting back up the tree. It was pretty impressive.

The squirrels in London are something else. When I was there last, my friend and I were in a park (don't remember which one), we noticed how unafraid of us the squirrels were, even to the point of jumping on my friends leg as he attempted to take a picture of one brave little squirrel.

"Reminds me of my trip to Beijing in 2005. I'm standing there in Tiamamen Square and you'd expect birds and squirrels to be everywhere, as they'd be in any large public area in Canada, USA, Europe, etc. However there were not creatures at all."

OK, that's way out of line - and you know what I'm saying. Outrageous implications.

The squirrels in London are something else. When I was there last, my friend and I were in a park (don't remember which one), we noticed how unafraid of us the squirrels were, even to the point of jumping on my friends leg as he attempted to take a picture of one brave little squirrel.

The squirrels in Toronto can be like that too, especially around some of the busier parks. I've fed squirrels (sorry!) from the palm of my hand. I've also had squirrels run towards me in High Park after I tried to scare them off by pretending to lunge at them.

When I was younger, a friend and I once bought a bag of chocolate covered coffee beans and fed them to the squirrels. That was fun. These days, I would probably consider it cruel to get a bunch of squirrels all hepped up on caffeine and sugar but back then it was fun.

Last summer, a co-worker and I were sitting on a bench at a very crowded city hall enjoying our chip-truck burger and fries. A large family of tourists walked by with their lunches and we kindly offered to squeeze down to one end of the bench to give them room to sit and enjoy their fries. That is when they decided that it would be great fun to spread around some fries to feed the pigeons. Within 30 seconds we were swarmed by dozens of dive-bombing seagulls and had to flee for our lives. The tourists really seemed to enjoy all the noise and commotion. Better than going to the EX.

And why do people feed poodles?

A few days before the ROM closed for renovations, I was amused to see a couple of security guards desperately chasing a squirrel around the Bishop White Gallery - it hopped between the legs of the wooden bodhisattvas, scooted past the famous temple paintings, and disappeared into the next room.
Squirrels like the new RCM too...

DSCN3505.jpg

the christian right is going to furious!
--------------------------------------------------

Hollywood pigeons to be put on the pill

Mon Jul 30, 4:57 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - Hollywood residents believe they've found a humane way to reduce their pigeon population and the messes the birds make: the pill.

Over the next few months a birth control product called OvoControl P, which interferes with egg development, will be placed in bird food in new rooftop feeders.

"We think we've got a good solution to a bad situation," said Laura Dodson, president of the Argyle Civic Association, the group leading the effort to try the new contraceptive. "The poop problem has become unmanageable and this could be the answer."

Community leaders planned to announce the OvoControl P pilot program, which Dodson believes is the first of its kind in the nation, at a news conference Monday.

Dodson said representatives from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals contacted her group with the idea to use OvoControl P. Other animal rights groups, including the Humane Society of the United States, support the contraceptive over electric shock gates, spiked rooftops, poisons or other methods.

It's estimated about 5,000 pigeons call the area home. Their population boom is blamed in part on people feeding the birds, including a woman known as the Bird Lady, who was responsible for dumping 25-pound bags of seed in 29 spots around Hollywood.

OvoControl P has been registered with the state Department of Pesticide Regulation and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Developed by Rancho Santa Fe-based Innolytics, the substance contains nicarbazin, which interferes with an egg's ability to develop or hatch, said Erick Wolf, Innolytics chief executive.

The pilot program was expected to show results within a year, and the Hollywood area's pigeon population is expected to shrink by at least half by 2012, Dodson said.

Rats and pigeons have become intertwined in a truly alarming way, inches from the side of our house. You see, our neighbours have a large pigeon coop in a decrepit old shed that almost touches the side of our house. That's bad enough, but quite legal (see below for our petition to change this craziness). However, when we started seeing rats scurrying around in broad daylight, we called in the pest control company and were told that as long as that pigeon coop was there, we would have rats because they _love_ bird feed and travel from miles away to get it. No amount of poison or traps would get rid of them.

Bird feed is a notorious rodent attractant, and once they are well fed, a bird coop can result in massive rat infestation that can affect the entire neighourhood.

This just does not seem right and we are trying to fight it. If you agree that having a big pigeon coop in downtown toronto should be against the law, then please take a second to sign our petition:

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/bancoops

Also, listen to this extremely entertaining segment that recently aired on CBC. The part starting at 6 minute 40 seconds cannot be missed.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local+Shows/Ontario/Here+and+Now+Toronto/ID/2410080622/

Sparrows = Mice
Pigeons = Rats
Geese = Raccoons
Squirrels are just rats with fluffy tales and good public relations.

Back