8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

BobBob

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm not aware of a thread dedicated to the ongoing financial "turmoil" (hickup? meltdown? catastrophe?) so I thought I'd start one. Seeing as I have only a very superficial understanding of what's going on, I don't have much to contribute beyond opening the floor for debate.

So, how do you think this will play out? What are the implications for Canada? Should we be worried?

The five largest US investment banks, some 150 years old, all disappearing as investment banks within a matter of mouths means its serious. Could rival the great depression if they don't get matters under control.

the market it just "adjusting". also, lady liberty isn't being raped, she has just become an unwilling sperm recipient with decreased sphincter tone.

The five largest US investment banks, some 150 years old, all disappearing as investment banks within a matter of mouths means its serious. Could rival the great depression if they don't get matters under control.

Those banks actually survived the Depression. What exists today is a somewhat evolved financial system, and lessons have been learned from the depression era. It's just going to become a little harder and more costly to borrow money.

I wouldn't put a dime in a bank right now because any bank and I mean ANY bank could fall right now.

The big rumour way back was that Bear Stearns wasn't insolvent, it was JP Morgan, the supposed saviour.... JP started the rumours and insider traders placed the 'puts' on Stearn..... the $50bil bail out was the biggest single act of robbery by the Fed in history and JP got all of BS assets for a song.

A great depression is acomin' theres too much overproduction in the world and too few dollars chasing ...even though the Fed print the dollars that will only swing us from one end of the scale hyperinflation (which the Fed sees as the lesser of two evils)

We've missed the boat for a natural correction...each day we go on and more institutions are bailed out the worse the fall will be.

Back in the 30's many supposed rich people got wiped out too. Only the real insiders and those making essential goods and services got by. Anyway, when the heavy shit hits the fansthe lighted torches and pitchfork brigade will drag those not suffering out into the street and lynch them.

what would happen if they just let these companies fail? 700 billion is alot of bail money.

Which Canadian bank is about to fall?

Shouldn't respond to trolls, but I don't recall saying a Canadian bank is about to fail. That being said, who was predicting any of the recent bank failures? Nobody, because these crooks hide their losses and cash out at the last minute. You won't know it's failing until its too late.

what would happen if they just let these companies fail?

Significant liquidity crisis ---> Global recession + eventual loss of reserve currency status for the US dollar....etc.

700 billion is alot of bail money.

Nothing compared to the trillions in bad debt sloshing around. Though if I was a US taxpayer, I'd be pissed about bailing out spendthrift neighbours and greedy, deceitful investment bankers.

The bailout may be the lesser evil, but it would be a much more palatable proposition for the taxpayer if La Guillotine was set up at the foot of Wall St.

The bailout may be the lesser evil, but it would be a much more palatable proposition for the taxpayer if La Guillotine was set up at the foot of Wall St.

Perhaps they should start by replacing the bull with a bear.....

Shouldn't respond to trolls, but I don't recall saying a Canadian bank is about to fail. That being said, who was predicting any of the recent bank failures? Nobody, because these crooks hide their losses and cash out at the last minute. You won't know it's failing until its too late.

I wouldn't put a dime in a bank right now because any bank and I mean ANY bank could fall right now.

You were quite emphatic. You said "ANY" bank, and since I presume you live in Canada, this would possibly include a Canadian bank. You might want to clarify your thoughts before typing them.

So you think bankers are all crooks, hide their losses, lie, etc. So what else is new?

Either way, your deposits are insured in Canada by the CDIC. A similar organization exists in the United States.

http://www.cdic.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/1218/la_id/1.htm

If anyone is worried about the future of our banks remember that in Canada deposit insurance covers the first $100,000 for each institution you have investments with. The sky need not fall.

Your deposits and GICs are insured by the CDIC. Mutual Funds, including Money Market, are not.

There are banks in the US which recently devalued their money market funds because those funds held short term debt of institutions that defaulted.

Established wisdom is that savings accounts and GICs provide a guaranteed loss over time because they pay a lower return than the rate of inflation. If you pay tax on the interest, your loss is even greater. So, its likely that most people don't have most of their money in insured deposits or GICs.

Every other investment instrument has a degree of risk to it. This risk is quantified, balanced against the return, and factored into the price of the investment instrument. Unfortunately, a whole lot of risk calculations have turned out be wrong so a whole lot of people and companies have money sunk into instruments that are worth a lot less than they thought.

Companies holding devalued instruments are worth less, and in turn become bigger credit risks. They will have to pay more to borrow (if anyone will still lend them money) - so they will have less money to invest in their business, pay their employees, or pay their creditors.

And so it will spread....

Canadian banks and other corporations have $billions of exposure to American banks - both directly and indirectly. This will impact Canada.

The whole financial system depends on the ability to be mostly right when
calculating risk. If events repeatedly undermine those calculations, the system will seize up.

That's why we better hope the US Government will come through with all the cash needed (roughly equivalent to Canada's GDP) to restore some of the value that has been lost.

Back