News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

fedplanner

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-56258.pdf

While the City is experiencing tremendous growth in condominium development, developers face
challenges in including large blocks of contiguous office space in such developments.
The objective of providing IMIT grants is to encourage such mixed use development,
consistent with the Official Plan. The incentive will amount to a grant-back of 60% of the
municipal taxes paid on the office space over ten years...

Why provide incentives for office space in mixed use buildings?

The Employment Uses study showed that new office space development in Toronto has
dramatically lagged behind that in the rest of the GTA since the early 1990s. In particular
the City has seen little development of small and mid-size office buildings outside of the
downtown core. These offices are attractive for some of our key sectors such as software
systems and design, creative industries and financial services back offices. These uses
may be more price sensitive and not in need of a downtown marquee location, but still
attracted by transit options and a large base of potential employees. Blocks of office
space in mixed use buildings may meet these needs.

Many of the areas targeted for office development are designated for mixed use. This
allows for residential and retail development as well as offices; and supports single use
buildings or buildings with more than one use. The Employment Uses study indicated
that there can be challenges to mixing offices and residential uses in one building, and
that these challenges may increase building costs. The challenges include:
structural issues including column spacing and lobby and elevator design;
market cycles for offices being out of sync with those for housing or other uses;
developers specializing in one type of use, but not both residential and commercial.

I fully agree with the concept, but I find it curious that a direct financial incentive to developers is proposed. Could this not be regulated in zoning?

I fully agree with the concept, but I find it curious that a direct financial incentive to developers is proposed. Could this not be regulated in zoning?

Very little the city can actually do, beyond grants enabled by the CIP, including tax income equivalent grants.

The city uses documents like the tall building guidelines to influence development. Even though the developer isn't bound by a guideline it's something the planners consider with rezoning applications. If section was added that condo podiums should include x amount of contiguous office space, I'm would be a little surprised if it was completely shunned by the development community. That's something that could be free to the city to encourage mixed-use buildings. Right now, is there any policy document which expresses the city's desire to see office space contained in condo's podiums?

The city regulates the amount of private amenity space that condos must provide and the amount of minimum retail frontage in the zoning bylaws. The city is currently revising those bylaws to more strongly encourage mix-rise buildings to rise along the Avenues. Why not add a section about minimum office space requirements?

The financial incentive may not even be effective as developers just opt to do business as usual.

Back