News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I think it will, won't it?

Capacity will certainly be higher, and that's important. This route has outgrown buses.
It will thanks to the right-of-way, actual signal priority (unlike a certain line) as well as Automatic Train Supervision (ATS) Not sure how much faster it is compared to the 36 however.

Line 1 trains operated at average speeds of 32 kilometres per hour (20 mph). "Average" because the curves before and after Union Station and the curves between Museum and St. George Stations make them VERY slow.

I think Rob Ford actually fantasized a Finch subway in his more delusional moments but that was too much for even John Tory's urge to overbuild and overspend on every aspect of his penis substitute legacy.

I think Rob Ford actually fantasized a Finch subway in his more delusional moments but that was too much for even John Tory's urge to overbuild and overspend on every aspect of his penis substitute legacy.
Mamoliti also tried to get that idea going but everyone on City Council saw the idea as completely ridiculous and were probably also tired of his crap.

The problem is the Finch West LRT won't be substantially faster than the existing bus, which seems like a weird thing to spend a ton of money on.

LRT will be a lot faster than the bus during the peak periods. Just because the buses get stuck in traffic.

Off-peak, LRT should be just a bit faster because it will have wider stop spacing.

LRT will be a lot faster than the bus during the peak periods. Just because the buses get stuck in traffic.

Off-peak, LRT should be just a bit faster because it will have wider stop spacing.

In addition, with the LRT there is ALL door boarding or egress, instead of the front door boarding.

It's a pet peeve to me that able-bodied people continue to use the front door of buses to egress. I'm a senior now and always use the centre door to exit. When I travelled with my kids, when they were young, and in their strollers, I also used the centre door to egress (steps and all, back then).

The increased capacity, comfort, and reliability will be a huge thing. Sure the bus today may be able to do a similar time when traffic is low, but the LRT will deliver the same time, every time, regardless if it's 5pm before a long weekend or 8am on Christmas day.

Off-peak though you also have less stops being taken due to there being less people. With an LRT, you have to stop at every single station. With a bus, if no one is exiting at Albion, the bus won't stop at Albion. This is especially problematic on the Finch West LRT when you have so many superfluous stations that are likely to have non-existent ridership such as Stevenson.

Off-peak though you also have less stops being taken due to there being less people. With an LRT, you have to stop at every single station. With a bus, if no one is exiting at Albion, the bus won't stop at Albion. This is especially problematic on the Finch West LRT when you have so many superfluous stations that are likely to have non-existent ridership such as Stevenson.

IF... they don't use an "on request" stop. If there is nobody at a stop (if ATO, sensors could detect a presence or not of something larger than a raccoon) and no one presses the "on request" button, why should the LRV stop?

IF... they don't use an "on request" stop. If there is nobody at a stop (if ATO, sensors could detect a presence or not of something larger than a raccoon) and no one presses the "on request" button, why should the LRV stop?
Are they using the on request model? Afaik they're not.

Wouldn't it have to follow a schedule? They won't be running that frequently that they could be completely unpredictable.

LRT will stop on-demand only at the surface stops. The Eglinton line will always stop at underground stations, but Finch West has none of those except the termini.

So, the same principle for Finch LRT as for the Finch bus. No riders, no stopping. I don't expect much speed improvement off-peak anyway, but there will be some situations where the bus would stop at both adjacent stops letting 1 person exit at each, while the LRT will let both of them out at the consolidated single stop. Of course that's not the main reason for the LRT construction; the peak-time improvement is the main goal.

I believe the stretch between Kipling and Albion is relatively dense. No skyscrapers of course, but some multi-storeys are there. That's why they added the Stevenson stop. One can always debate the benefits of more fine-graned local service vs the benefits of better longer-range trip times; there is no perfect solution. That said, the average Finch West stop spacing will be a pretty reasonable ~ 670m.

LRT will stop on-demand only at the surface stops. The Eglinton line will always stop at underground stations, but Finch West has none of those except the termini.

So, the same principle for Finch LRT as for the Finch bus. No riders, no stopping. I don't expect much speed improvement off-peak anyway, but there will be some situations where the bus would stop at both adjacent stops letting 1 person exit at each, while the LRT will let both of them out at the consolidated single stop. Of course that's not the main reason for the LRT construction; the peak-time improvement is the main goal.

I believe the stretch between Kipling and Albion is relatively dense. No skyscrapers of course, but some multi-storeys are there. That's why they added the Stevenson stop. One can always debate the benefits of more fine-graned local service vs the benefits of better longer-range trip times; there is no perfect solution. That said, the average Finch West stop spacing will be a pretty reasonable ~ 670m.
Source?

Back