News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Finch slopes down at Bayview. Portal can make use of that. The question is how good can LRVs handle the slopes between Willowdale and Don Mills during winter. Will they be better than buses?

If there's tunneling involved, the cost will probably balloon to billion figures. The question then becomes, is it worth building a line that will essentially be (another) shuttle service between Don Mills and Yonge?

If it becomes a long crosstown line, it will be quite useful despite one low-density section.

Probably just to Sheppard West. Are you suggesting interlining one-stop to Downsview Park too?
Not interlining, but a new tunnel. This would connect it to GO such that if RER/Smartrack goes there, then it is accessible Ideally, the line should be extended to Pearson to make it make sense..

If it becomes a long crosstown line, it will be quite useful despite one low-density section.
Crosstown and surface LRT are not a great mix. At least one of our more northerly east-west lines needs to be actually rapid.

Crosstown and surface LRT are not a great mix. At least one of our more northerly east-west lines needs to be actually rapid.
Sheppard is the only option that will probably do that, but it's oh-so expensive and would still be overbuilt for whatever ridership it manages to attract anyways. But, there's some potential for it, I'm sure.

Operationally, is there anything really bad about running a very long surface LRT line though? If it's managed well it can work, right? LRTs aren't usually built to be methods of crossing the entire city, they're more for local travel in high-demand areas or connecting to modes that are actually rapid. I notice a lot of people don't like very extensive LRT lines, but it seems based on the assumption that many many riders are travelling significant distances on it?

If the goal is to provide higher capacity for local/feeder service, is there really a need for it to be 'crosstown'? It would be a waste of time for someone to trundle across town at 28 kph. And as a transit operator, you'd probably rather turn that seat over a few times along the route than to have someone ride it 'crosstown'.

That plan was frankly stupid. Also since Sheppard East is no longer an LRT, there's even less reason to bring that there.
I'm not sure we know what Sheppard East will be.

Could run it down Don Mills all the way to Eglinton now. At the same time, seems crazy to just miss Seneca College.

Not interlining, but a new tunnel. This would connect it to GO such that if RER/Smartrack goes there, then it is accessible Ideally, the line should be extended to Pearson to make it make sense..
I suppose that's not the craziest idea, if they do extend Line 4 to Sheppard West. Everything west of Allen could be shallow cut-and-cover. There'd be tail tracks and presumably a connection south to Wilson Yard heading that way already. A bit more track to Downsview Park station might be an idea. It wouldn't have to be near the existing station at all, but could cross at the south end of the GO Platform, before deflecting south to go back under Sheppard West.

Alternatively, it could bend south, and put another station further south, with or without a Barrie line station. Probably many years in the future, by then the redevelopment of that area may make things more clear.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we know what Sheppard East will be.

Could run it down Don Mills all the way to Eglinton now. At the same time, seems crazy to just miss Seneca College.
What we're most likely going to see is a Phase 2 of the Ontario Line that brings it up to Don Mills Station and maybe possibly to Seneca College. I am absolutely for bringing the Finch LRT to Seneca, I just don't think travelling down to Sheppard is a good idea afterwards.

I suppose that's not the craziest idea, if they do extend Line 4 to Sheppard West. Everything west of Allen could be shallow cut-and-cover. There'd be tail tracks and presumably a connection south to Wilson Yard heading that way already. A bit more track to Downsview Park station might be an idea. It wouldn't have to be near the existing station at all, but could cross at the south end of the GO Platform, before deflecting south to go back under Sheppard West.

Alternatively, it could bend south, and put another station further south, with or without a Barrie line station. Probably many years in the future, by then the redevelopment of that area may make things more clear.

Not to go on a tangent for this line, but if we keep the Sheppard line following Sheppard for much of the route It would provide a good option for the top of the city to get around faster. Going to a Barrie GO line helps those who are commuting not have to go all the way into the city to transfer to a crosstown line.

If the goal is to provide higher capacity for local/feeder service, is there really a need for it to be 'crosstown'? It would be a waste of time for someone to trundle across town at 28 kph. And as a transit operator, you'd probably rather turn that seat over a few times along the route than to have someone ride it 'crosstown'.
I mean, having a continuous surface LRT line across the north of the city would simply act as a high-capacity-slightly-faster bus route that feeds into north-south RER and subway lines, which I'm fine with. If travel patterns along much of Finch involve a lot of fairly short but very popular journeys as opposed to "crosstown" journeys then this LRT is suitable for those segments.

What we're most likely going to see is a Phase 2 of the Ontario Line that brings it up to Don Mills Station and maybe possibly to Seneca College. I am absolutely for bringing the Finch LRT to Seneca, I just don't think travelling down to Sheppard is a good idea afterwards.
Yea, I agree with this idea, that's the best plan I can think of in my head. The distance between Finch and Sheppard is around 2 km, and along that route there's public schools, a lot of highrises (with potential for infill), a large college (Seneca) and a potential connection to an eastward extension of the Finch LRT; that would be a pretty natural subway terminal with high ridership potential. If they are proactive they will let phase 2 go up to Finch. It would be more of a destination than Don Mills, I'd imagine.

Someone can correct me I but believe the incline should be manageable. The incline on Bathurst south of St Clair is very steep and I assume they keep streetcars rolling up and down Bathurst in winter.
It's quite difficult to gauge the difference in the slopes' gradient.
I tried to use google's bicycle route planning to do an estimate.
These should be the steepest slopes on those roads:

~11.5% slope
Capture0.JPG

~7.5% slope
Capture1.JPG

I don't think that's the steepest spot on Bathurst.

You can go to the city's GIS-based maps on their website, turn on the topography, and just measure the slope. In a thread somewhere I already did that for Bathurst.

LRTs aren't usually built to be methods of crossing the entire city, they're more for local travel in high-demand areas or connecting to modes that are actually rapid. I notice a lot of people don't like very extensive LRT lines, but it seems based on the assumption that many many riders are travelling significant distances on it?
There are lots of places that are building LRT lines and networks that cross cites. A few examples in the UK are Manchester and Nottingham. In Australia you have Melbourne which has a very large tram network then you also have Sydney that is building a few more lines as well. In the US Seattle and Portland both have fairly large LRT networks too.

It's quite difficult to gauge the difference in the slopes' gradient.
I tried to use google's bicycle route planning to do an estimate.
These should be the steepest slopes on those roads:

~11.5% slope
View attachment 297621

~7.5% slope
View attachment 297624
Wow, I have been on the Finch bus and I didn't notice anything steeper than that bit on Bathurst.

My thought is that Finch Crosstown can be built first, as a mostly surface LRT. It will improve the local and mid-range trips along Finch, but also will have some role for crosstown trips.

Not a great crosstown option, for sure, but still better than going crosstown on the buses, as many riders have to do today.

And then later the Sheppard line will be extended, possibly swinging to Wilson in the west and to Ellesmere east of McCowan. That will be a fast line. Then, riders who need to take a crosstown trip and don't live near either Finch or Sheppard, will probably use the Wilson-Sheppard-Ellesmere line, but those who live near Finch might opt for Finch LRT.

Back