News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Probably too late for today on the Finch West LRT, but doable for installing heating cables on its extensions and other LRT projects.
problem is the govt almost always look at only the initial startup costs and dont care as much for upkeep over the next 50 years. they will almost always go for the cheaper option.

These hyper-specific complaints about shelters are always a little strange for me. As someone who travels a lot on the TTC (it can take me up to an hour and a half to commute to work on the TTC), these shelters seem absolutely fine. I have no expectation that I will be protected at a TTC stop from inclement weather.

For instance, at the Kipling station bus bay, I often wait outside - even in the winter - because getting a seat on a bus is better than staying slightly warmer and drier for five to ten minutes.

What bothers me more when waiting in inclement weather is the train/bus/whatever taking longer than five or ten minutes. That is infuriating. I have waited at the Queen Streetcar's Humber Loop - which has an indoor portion but is NOT heated - in the winter for more than thirty minutes, and that experience is burnt into my soul.

These hyper-specific complaints about shelters are always a little strange for me. As someone who travels a lot on the TTC (it can take me up to an hour and a half to commute to work on the TTC), these shelters seem absolutely fine. I have no expectation that I will be protected at a TTC stop from inclement weather.

For instance, at the Kipling station bus bay, I often wait outside - even in the winter - because getting a seat on a bus is better than staying slightly warmer and drier for five to ten minutes.

What bothers me more when waiting in inclement weather is the train/bus/whatever taking longer than five or ten minutes. That is infuriating. I have waited at the Queen Streetcar's Humber Loop - which has an indoor portion but is NOT heated - in the winter for more than thirty minutes, and that experience is burnt into my soul.
Everybody seems to have a story of waiting an inordinate amount of time at that despicable liminal space known as the Humber Loop. One day within the century we will finally wait for a streetcar in some beautiful cafe at the bottom of the finally completed Christe redev.
And as for the Finch shelters, I have to agree, I'm already dressed for the cold 99% of the time and will only be irritated by a long delayed streetcar/lrt as is the current experience on Spadina

I'll have to disagree with the above takes, there are many times i can remember waiting for a bus/streetcar in inclement weather and because the shelters are so garbage i'll just head into a neighboring storefront and wait for the next vehicle to finally show up.

If it's just cold weather, sure I'll wait outside having a transit shelter/no transit shelter isnt going to do much of anything for that. Add in some heavy rain, and I would expect a shelter to do it's job. To which I know these shelters wont do a lick of anything for.

If they wanted to actually make the shelters worth using, they could have copied what Montreal did for their BRT on Pie-IX Boulevard.

Perhaps even with doors along the door threshold cutouts that don't open unless a tram has entered the stop. I do not find the arguments that on paper, the line is supposed to run quasi frequently, to be impressive. Also, is there any transit line in the world from which we can take precedent and assurance that the line will run frequently enough to not require shelters late at night or on Sunday mornings?

1702487421389.png

Especially when it’s a crappy presentation. Other parts of the world would at least sweep all the rocks and dirt from the side of the path. Some colours would be a nice touch.

Especially when it’s a crappy presentation. Other parts of the world would at least sweep all the rocks and dirt from the side of the path. Some colours would be a nice touch.
Too late in the year to lay grass now, it will get the finishing touches closer to project completion.

"Toronto Grey" ™

Colours are too edgy for this puritan city.
To defend Toronto (I know, shocking), the problem goes far and beyond the borders of this city.

In my hometown of Bratislava, they introduced a new corporate paint scheme in 2006. I found it bright, pleasant, all around lovely:

1702523768864.jpeg

18 years later, the visual has been utterly bastardized. The lovely smiling faces have been replaced with a huge blank nothingness of red, the vibrant yellow pantographs have been repainted in ugly coal colours, and the vintage looking fleet number font has been replaced with the most generic looking one imaginable. What was once joyful now epitomizes corporate induced depression.

1702523868884.jpeg

Back