News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I took a detour down Finch today to see for myself, and I have to say, the progress since my last visit a few months back is pretty impressive.
There is lots to be finished. But the prospect of doing full length testing by spring is very credible.
The roadway has pretty much returned to four lanes, and the track is all there - however still blocked in places by bits of construction, portapotties, etc. There were crews in site who had placed grounds on the overhead for safety - again, while that implies that the overhead is shut down and unusable, it also implies that the line can now be energised.
I was amused to see that some of the ticket machines are powered on, and the platforms do not have keep-out barriers anymore. Had I been on foot, I would have been sorely tempted to be the first fare paying customer for the new line :)
Anyways, we have something to look forward to in 2024. Really good to see this get done so smoothly..

- Paul

^ it's mentioned here the total cost includes the 30-year maintenance period. That aspect is sometimes not well covered by the media.
The Media always misses this, the crosstown is a 6.7 billion contract but frequently referred to as a 12 billion contract. never mentioning thats the lifecycle cost and not the cost to simply build the line

The Media always misses this, the crosstown is a 6.7 billion contract but frequently referred to as a 12 billion contract. never mentioning thats the lifecycle cost and not the cost to simply build the line

Indeed. I've seen the same thing happen with Hazel/Hurontario LRT too.

Thanks for posting that! This is the first time that I have heard of a western extension of this line to the airport. 🤔

Thanks for posting that! This is the first time that I have heard of a western extension of this line to the airport. 🤔
It's not actually to the airport. The extension that's being built gets it closer, but the last section to the airport is still under planning/analysis. The GTAA once had a plan for a "Union Station West" that would act as a transit hub, and where the ECWE etc. would terminate, but that got torpedoed by the pandemic.

Very exciting, the finish line is very close for Finch West LRT. Will there really be a paid duty officer at every intersection?

It makes sense while the traffic signalling is being burned in and verified, hopefully the officers are actually doing something and not just watching from their cars.

Toronto’s pay duty practices sometimes do make one ask, is this really necessary - but I have to think that this is a wise precaution, for a little while anyways.

- Paul

Even thought TTC has budget operation cost starting Sept, its possible service could start in June assuming the big wigs can be on hand for the official opening then.

As others have predicted, the Finch will open ahead of the Crosstown Line if it opens in June.

During the ION testing, police were station at various intersections and crossings. Only can speak to the ones I saw first hand and video shot. Want to make sure fool drivers not getting hit as well getting them use to something new that will have to deal with on a daily base. Regardless of the police on site, fool drivers will do their thing during and after testing that some will get hit by the LRV or delay service..

Viewing the videos recently from CityNews, it looks like Humber College station has individual bathrooms now?

Also, full main line testing will begin on January 2, 2024 all the way to the end of May.

Are only the two termini of this line's stops referred to as stations? The rest are "Stops"? I'm a little confused as to why "stops" are going to appear on the TTC Rapid Transit maps as the map otherwise only has transit "stations" on it - with the exception of the Pearson Airport "Stop" (although it doesn't even get the regular white circle, but rather just the red loop and the airport symbol).

This is a bit of a niche question, but will the Finch LRT use the TTC 3-tone chime and announcements voice? Because from what I believe, the LRVs are programmed with the same announcement sounds and software used in Ottawa.

Are only the two termini of this line's stops referred to as stations? The rest are "Stops"? I'm a little confused as to why "stops" are going to appear on the TTC Rapid Transit maps as the map otherwise only has transit "stations" on it - with the exception of the Pearson Airport "Stop" (although it doesn't even get the regular white circle, but rather just the red loop and the airport symbol).
From what I see here, yes. Humber College and Finch West Stations are stations, while the rest of the points of the line are stops. Probably to make it seem more sensible, they’d just rather call it a stop; like a streetcar stop in Toronto.

Seems reasonable. It's always been a map of rapid transit locations. Not stations, as you can see with the absence of Queens Quay station.

Back