News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

A classic example of not needing any education to become a city counsillor. If he actually listened to what he said he would know it makes no sense whatsoever. So now building subways will now magically make tractor trailers go underground? Wow.

He's saying that Finch is used for heavy trucking, so if the LRT is built it will get in their way because they'll be expected to perform U-turns. Which is why he deliberately blocked traffic on Finch for half an hour in protest.

A better question would be, if he thinks that a street is used primarily for trucking then why does he think it has the density and urban form to support a subway.

That being said, it appears as though there are some legitimate issues with the impact on traffic, assuming these projections are correct.

Last edited:
That being said, it appears as though there are some legitimate issues with the impact on traffic, assuming these projections are correct.

The situation appears to be more complex than I previously thought. The projected 12-min increase in the auto trip time is not something to just ignore.

First of all, it would be nice to understand if that estimate is correct. If no through lanes of traffic are removed to make room for LRT, then how can the LRT cause such a major impact? Is that only because of the left-turning tracks blocking the road?

In any case, subway is out of question in this corridor; there is no ridership and no funds.

Burying 2 km of LRT in the affected area is not a likely solution, either. That would require $400 to $600 million extra for the project, and that funding cannot be secured in the near future. In addition, the tunnel construction will interfere with the very same businesses we hope to support.

What options remain on the table?

1) Leaving LRT in the street median, and constructing additional road (or roads) in the area to let the trucks avoid using Finch. Maybe, new Hwy 400 off- and on-ramps can be added.

2) Leaving the LRT on surface, but shifting it away from the street median. Either it could be shifted entirely to the south side of road; or, an additional eastbound lane for left turns can be added to the north of LRT lanes, allowing the trucks to avoid crossing LRT.

3) Building BRT instead of LRT. I suppose, BRT may use curb lanes between Weston and Jane, while running in the median elsewhere. BRT should be cheaper than LRT, and hopefully can go all the way to Yonge in Phase I, instead of stopping at Keele. The disadvantage of BRT is relatively low amount of spare capacity. BRT can handle up to 3,600 pphpd (2 min headways = 30 buses per hour x 120 riders per bus), and we expect 2,800 soon after the operations start, leaving little room to accommodate future growth.

Unconfirmed sightings of Mammoliti and Karygiannis taking their show on the road:

download.jpg

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
So after the circus, what was the final vote of Mammoliti's motion? I know the Line 2 extension is going through without too much opposition, but haven't heard as much about the Sheppard and Finch lines.
I don't think there's anything about the Sheppard LRT going to council. The motion about the Finch West LRT hasn't come up yet - but after the vote on the Scarborough extension only had 6 votes against simply asking questions, I'd think the vote on Finch would be almost unanimous - particularly being fronted by a councillor with no support in council like Mammoliti.

Re: Truck congestion: What about the potential of building a new road from Norfinch to Dufferin in the hydro corridor as a truck bypass? The York University Transitway is already there between Keele and Dufferin, and it will be obsolete once the subway opens. Repurpose it as a general roadway and extend it. That way, trucks have an alternative to Finch which is in fact closer to the majority of the warehouses that they're delivering from/to.

EDIT: It could even incorporate most of the Murray Ross Parkway, reducing the construction cost even further.

Highway 7 in Markham has a fair bit of truck volume on it with the busway, and I haven't heard too many complaints about trucks not being able to turn. I know it is not a realistic comparison, but playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 on my PC I find making right turns far more difficult than wide U-turns.

That said, expanding the Steeles interchange is not that bad an idea. Especially if you've been by it, you can see that there were plans to do so that were never followed through on.

That said, expanding the Steeles interchange is not that bad an idea. Especially if you've been by it, you can see that there were plans to do so that were never followed through on.

Just looked at it on Google Maps, and wow, I never realized the interchange was so short of modern standards. Yes, I think upgrading that to a Parclo would make a difference in terms of truck traffic distribution between Finch and Steeles.

Are you implying that there used to be an interchange? If so, why was it removed?

I guess it could have been taken as an implication.

But let me put it clearly. When built, there were interchanges with both Sheppard and Wilson on the 400. By 1971 however, they had been removed, likely due to the highway being widened from 4 to 8 lanes and the reconfiguration of the interchange with the 401.

It is possible to reinstate the interchange at Sheppard, although it seems that the MTO prefers to limit or eliminate the interchanges to the nearest concessions paralleling the 400-series highways. Land is also at a bit of a premium at Sheppard.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

But let me put it clearly. When built, there were interchanges with both Sheppard and Wilson on the 400. By 1971 however, they had been removed, likely due to the highway being widened from 4 to 8 lanes and the reconfiguration of the interchange with the 401.
Checking out aerial maps, Sheppard hasn't had an interchange with the 400 since somewhere between 1953 and 1957. (For a loose definition of "interchange")

Back